Author Topic: Noonan Family, Quitrentmountain, Kildorrery.  (Read 345 times)

Offline Civray2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noonan Family, Quitrentmountain, Kildorrery.
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
My maternal great-grandfather was an adopted Dundonian, original from County Cork.
This great-grandfather of mine, John Noonan, came to Scotland around 1860. As I said, he settled in Dundee where he married a Catherine Logan in St Mary's Church on the 31st December 1869.
He was born in Springvale near Kildorrery early in 1842 and was baptised there on the 11th February of that year. His father was a James Noonan and his mother was a Johanna Duane. Most of the other children in their family were born in the townland of Quitrent Mountain and baptised in Kildorrery.
On my great-grandfather's death certificate here in Scotland it stated that his father was a Land Steward. I realise that a Land Steward was not always looked upon favourably. Now I have located a James Noonan in Griffith's Valuation who had a house, land and offices in Quitrent. I also have come across the name still being in the Quitrent area around the time of 1911 Census. There was also Company Captain John Noonan, Kildorrery I.R.A. (around the 1920s) who was born in Quitrent. He died on the 18th August 1958 and is buried in Kildorrery Cemetery. I do not know whether these folk were related or not to my great-grandfather's siblings.
I do hope that someone, somewhere can shed some light on my great-grandfather and especially his siblings of whom I have the following information:

Baptismal Dates
Patrick Noonan, Ballyvisteen, Kildorrery 1839
John Noonan (my great-grandfather), Springvale, Kildorrery 1842
Thomas Noonan, Quitrent, Kildorrery, 1844
Denis Noonan, Quitrent, Kildorrery, 1847
Catherine Noonan, Quitrent, Kildorrery, 1849
Margaret Noonan, Quitrent, Kildorrery, 1852
and Johanna Noonan, Quitrent, Kildorrery, 1854

I have searched extensively but can find no records of them at all. I know that the Earl of Kingston had various problems, financially and otherwise, and sold the estate in 1851. I am wondering whether that prompted the whole family to move elsewhere?