Author Topic: James Price & Cecilia Carney Marriage NSW  (Read 373 times)

Offline elderbloomer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Price & Cecilia Carney Marriage NSW
« on: Monday 28 December 20 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have a marriage in the Carcoar registration district in NSW for a James Price and a Cecilia Carney in 1879 (2781/1879 NSW BDM).
I have been unable to find any further information about their lives.
There were other Carney’s living in the same area at this time and these are evident on quite a few public Ancestry family trees.
No Cecilia Carney is mentioned in these trees.
She may have had a previous marriage to a Carney?
I am wondering if you could help me.
Cheers
Janet

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Price & Cecilia Carney Marriage NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 20 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Exactly what information is written on the marriage record that you have?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 20 03:27 GMT (UK) »
May I suggest that the NSW BDM registration in 1879 for that marriage will likely have a number of blanks, as in that era the clergy provided only summary info to the Civil Registrars.  HOWEVER, the full details about parents, including the maiden name of both the mothers (of bride and groom), occupations for their fathers, as well as the places of birth and ages and occupations of bride and groom, etc ... that info was recorded on the parish registers...  NSWBDM has not ever completed the reconciliation process of collating the info on the rural/regional churches registers with their own meagre summary info.

There is a now lengthy thread on the NSW resources board re those elusive blanks and how to overcome them.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 20 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Also,

Often there can be useful clues about the mother of the bride when you look for the names of the midwife or nurse assisting at the birth of the first born ... however, I have not found any birth registrations at NSWBDM online index for James and Cecilia PRICE ...

So I  wonder how you know that you are related to the couple  ... perhaps they moved to another colony?

Hello
I have a marriage in the Carcoar registration district in NSW for a James Price and a Cecilia Carney in 1879 (2781/1879 NSW BDM).
I have been unable to find any further information about their lives.
There were other Carney’s living in the same area at this time and these are evident on quite a few public Ancestry family trees.
No Cecilia Carney is mentioned in these trees.
She may have had a previous marriage to a Carney?
I am wondering if you could help me.
Cheers
Janet

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 20 05:09 GMT (UK) »
An alternative spelling for CARNEY  ... perhaps try KEARNEY.

Until post WWI ..  NSW bdm births were based on verbal info, so spelling was up to the clerks recording the oral info.

Similar with NSW electoral rolls ... verbal info collected by police  until at least 1901 federation rolls...

JM

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth contacting the Bathurst Historical Society www.bathursthistory.org.au to see if they have anything on Price/Carney families.
Agree with the above posters.. I can't find anything relevant on the usual sites (Ancestry, Trove etc)
shume    australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Excellent.  I too have looked through all the usual places.  I know Carcoar district,  my older living rellies know it too,  and so far ... nothing .... offline records back to late 1820s and the early settlers....

I am sure the church register will be useful,  so may I encourage our poster to follow up on shumes suggestion.

JM

Offline elderbloomer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your hints and suggestions.
I understand the NSW BDM process a bit better.
I agree that the Parish Registers will be the next step and to investigate the Bathurst Historical Society. (Hopefully I will be at the National Library in April next year - one of my favourite places to spend time)

I am interested in James Price as we have a unproven DNA link to a Price family in NSW and James is one of the possible members of that family. Of all the marriages of a James Price this one to Cecilia Carney has been impossible so far to prove or disprove.

Hope you all see the New Year in your particular style and enjoy. Stay safe.
Cheers
Janet