Author Topic: John Cameron  (Read 3323 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Cameron
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers - The Bradleys (Ellen and William) were living at Ardmaleish Street Glasgow in 1962 when I looked earlier.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »

Tony from the marriage certificate, can I ask what is John Cameron's age and parents names. If we know his birth details it might make it easier to find his death.

Reply 2 gave some details on ancestry research service.

http://www.ancestryresearchservice.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I1&tree=CameronDrogheda1

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra and Neale1961.

When John Cameron married Ellen Green in 1876, he was 29yrs and she was 21yrs. They married in Rutherglen. When  his son James Campbell Cameron was married in 1916, his father was recorded as deceased.

The reason I bring this to the Scottish forum is because Johns son James Campbell Cameron came to Ireland around 1911. He met Isabella Mooney b.1893 who was born in Dunbarton. They married in Drogheda in 1916. Prior to this they had two children who died at birth. In 1921 they had a son Alan James Campbell Cameron. However in 1927(fish) Alan went to live with his cousin and his parents James and Isabella were not heard of again. Alan was told they died young, his family think they seperated an went their separate ways.

My 12year search has never found any clues on Irish forums so I'm making one final search - maybe they returned to Scotland?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 18:30 GMT (UK) »
John and family are in 1881 in Kinning Park.  He claims he was born in Kirkhill which is next to Beauly. However, Cameron baptisms for that time in Kirkhill are pretty scarce maybe lost, never happened or with a Church other than the Church of Scotland.

Nor could I find his death in Lanarkshire using an est year of birth 1845 +/- 5 years so perhaps they moved to another county and he died there.  Then again, I could not find Ellen/Elen in 1891 maybe they went to Ireland for a brief time.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Don, thank you for trying. Ireland is a possibility. When their son James married john was deceased and wife Ellen was living in Troon. She died 1929 in Glasgow

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 December 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Also on his daughter's marriage in 1903, does it say that father is deceased?
The reason I asked was to narrow down a time frame for John Cameron's death. Was it between children marriages between 1903 and 1916, or was it earlier than 1903.

The family is still in Kinning Park in 1891 Census, but I have not yet found them in 1901.

1891 census 80 Stanley Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
John Cameron, Head, 35, Born Beauly Inverness, Horse shoe-er (He was a blacksmith in both 1871 & 1881 census)
Maggie Cameron, wife, 30 born Ireland (I think this must be Ellen – but a mistake made with name on census)
David Cameron, son, 13 born Kinning Park
Ellen Cameron, daughter , 11 born Kinning Park
John Cameron, son, 10 born Kinning Park
Maggie Cameron, daughter 6, born Kinning Park
James Cameron, son 5, born Kinning Park
Mathilda Cameron, daughter 10mnths born Glasgow
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 December 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Neale1961,

John was recorded as deceased on his daughters marriage cert. She married 31st Dec 1902 and the marriage registers in Jan 1903. He was last recorded in 1891 census so that narrows it down pretty much. I still haven't found him??

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 December 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately his age on the various census returns is very elastic.
On his daughter’s marriage, where was the family living? Was the address in St Rollox, or was that the groom? Can you check?
The reason I ask...
There is a death for a John Cameron, age 46, in 1896 St Rollox. The age is about right, but it might not be him. There are a few other possible deaths in that period 1891-1902 in the Glasgow area. However, sometimes it is worth taking a punt on a hunch, but I don’t know how you feel about using up your credits on SP.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 December 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Neale1961,

I purchased more credits and opened the 1896 file for St. Rollox, as his daughter was married in that district. John is recorded as a 'pauper' formerly a (looks like) Calendar Worker,single, illegitimate) so I am not sure - though the person mentioned under fathers name is Margaret Cameron - who subsequently married John Millar (deceased).

I then opened all BUT one and none of them were John - I ran out of credit with one left which was Died 1893.