Author Topic: Wha comes before 'Father' in this marriage cert?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Bearcroft94

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wha comes before 'Father' in this marriage cert?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't realised this topic was still getting posts!

Andrew Craig is given as Andrew Craig's father on the birth certificate, which also marks Andrew Jr as illegitimate. Margaret Buttler then had another illegitimate child with a man named Thomas Tierney (I found the paternity decree), then married John Berry and had a third child. All three children went by Berry, though Andrew reverted back to Craig as an adult.

Margaret never married Andrew Craig. The theory about the names getting mixed up on the certificate sounds plausible - it should read "reputed father Andrew Craig", mother Margaret Buttler, subsequently married to John Berry. Both Margaret Buttler and John Berry were still alive by the time Andrew got married, so it seems a strange mistake to make. Unfortunately I can find no record of father Andrew beyond the birth certificate.

I've attached Andrew's birth certificate if anyone's interested in taking a look.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Wha comes before 'Father' in this marriage cert?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »

The theory about the names getting mixed up on the certificate sounds plausible - it should read "reputed father Andrew Craig", mother Margaret Buttler, subsequently married to John Berry. Both Margaret Buttler and John Berry were still alive by the time Andrew got married, so it seems a strange mistake to make. Unfortunately I can find no record of father Andrew beyond the birth certificate.

The error was likely made by the Minister or whoever inserted the details.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"