Author Topic: Not nice but found a rape in the family. How therefore to link?  (Read 1113 times)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not nice but found a rape in the family. How therefore to link?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 21 16:59 GMT (UK) »
One sister had a son, one had a daughter. I don't know how it happened but.. they married and had children...

If this was in England then it was perfectly legal and nothing to be ashamed about. First cousin marriages are relatively common, and quite a few of us have one or more in our trees. From an English perspective it's a completely different situation from the one that's concerning Cad169.

(Note that although cousin marriages are allowed by the law of the land, some individuals might not approve, and Roman Catholics need/needed special permission from the church to marry cousins closer than a certain degree.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi CAD169.

Welcome to RootsChat. This is a wonderful site with many amazing people who so generously help and contribute.

Yours can be a very sticky situation when posting a tree. In my family I've encountered people who have deliberately omitted "uncomfortable" facts, others who ignore your queries because they touch on confronting realities, and all sorts of sloppy or just plain wrong "evidence" to justify their just plain wrong trees.

Can I suggest that you stay true to what you believe? Do your research thoroughly and post unarguable evidence. Be prepared for flak, but stick to the facts. I passionately believe that what we are all doing with family research is informing and educating future generations. The truth is uncomfortable, but wise heads will bless you for being honest.

One further suggestion: Have you tried the Trove site? Wonderful access to old newspapers. You might find more information there.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Peter

Offline Cad169

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, and all that have replied.

Thank you so much, it has been a real education! I feel as though I definitely want the truth to be told. It has slightly annoyed me that there are a fair few trees that have Joe and his siblings and sons and daughters, with absolutely no mention of my father as being a son of his.

This could be because strangely, I cannot seem to find a great deal of information on my father prior to his wedding in 1954. I have his birth certificate (no father mentioned). He was born at St Pancras Infirmary and given straight to Dr Barnardo’s. Joined the army just prior to war breaking out. Re-enlisted in 45 till 46/7, but I would love to know what happened to him between 1947 and 55…..there doesn’t appear to be any Electoral info, and there is no one else alive who could give me any info!

I’ll keep trying!

Thanks, everyone.