Author Topic: Parents of John WELLER, born Sandhurst area c. 1805  (Read 457 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Parents of John WELLER, born Sandhurst area c. 1805
« on: Saturday 02 January 21 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year, everyone.

I haven't put this in lookup requests as it's not technically a lookup - I'm just interested in other people's opinions about a family I'm descended from.

My ancestor John WELLER was born in the Sandhurst area in about 1805, apparently to a Thomas and an Elizabeth (I have found a corresponding baptism in Hawkhurst, a neighbouring parish). According to the tree here (http://family-tree-russell.co.uk/TB.htm), John was one of six children born between 1787 and 1809.

However...I'm a bit suspicious about this as the first three children (all girls) were baptised as nonconformists (as far as I can tell, in Sandhurst), and there's a suspicious eight-year gap between the last of these three and the first of the other three...who were not baptised as non-conformists. To me, this looks a bit like someone's combined two separate families. Plus, in 1796 (right in the middle of that eight-year gap) a Thomas Weller who was a nonconformist was buried at Rye (in Sussex but only a few miles down the road.

So, it looks like there may be two separate Thomas and Elizabeth Wellers. However, there are problems:

I can only find a marriage in the right area (on FindMyPast) for one couple, Thomas Weller and Elizabeth MAYNARD, in Sandhurst on 13 June 1788.
2. The Thomas who died in 1796 was born in 1769, meaning that if he was the father of the three girls, Elizabeth, Katharine and Abigail, he was pretty young - only 18 (not impossible, but in my experience young even for those days).

Is there anything I might have overlooked?

Thanks

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John WELLER, born Sandhurst area c. 1805
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
There are several trees on A******y for John Weller. Also a copy of a Thomas Weller will leaving most of his property to his wife Elizabeth.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John WELLER, born Sandhurst area c. 1805
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Be extra careful - Kent is teeming with Wellers!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk