Author Topic: Bernard Noon  (Read 621 times)

Offline Rosygem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard Noon
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, happy new year!

I’m wondering if anyone can help me? I’m trying to find out more about Bernard Noone - found in this 1891 census

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/sharing/22501092?h=004fdb

I believe his mother is my 3rd GGM - she was born as Mary Noon about 1849 in Ireland, and married John Mullins in Warrington in 1867. They had a daughter called Sarah who was born 1872 in Newcastle under Lyme, and also a son called John (my 2x GGF) born 1870 in Warrington.

John Mullins Snr seems to disappear after 1861 (can’t find him on any census records) - on the 1891 census Mary is listed as a widow, and so maybe went back to using her maiden name for some reason.

I have searched for a birth record for Bernard Noone in both Warrington and Newcastle under Lyme. I can’t find anything that looks remotely accurate as evidence. I have tried searching using both his fathers surname and his mother’s maiden name.

I do have the mother Mary and 2 children living with Bryan and Margaret Noon (her parents) on the 1881 census in Warrington. Mary is using her married name (Mullins), she is listed as a widow again and is with her 2 children Sarah Mullins and John Mullins.

Part of me wonders if Bernard and John Jnr are the same people, both born in the same place and around the same time. Maybe for some reason he changed his name for a short period. I have John Mullins Jnr birth cert - he didn't have a middle name.

If anyone has time would they be willing to see if they can find any further evidence of the relationship please?

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BERNARD NOON LOOK UP REQUEST PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
previous post

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812119.msg6724923#msg6724923

Quote from this post

"I have ordered the marriage cert. for John / Mary Noon today to see if that helps shed any light."

What was the outcome of the details of that marriage certificate??

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Noon
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:59 GMT (UK) »
These are just some thoughts/observations re Bernard Noone in the 1891 census. He is aged 20, born Warrington.

1. There are no Bernard Mullins/Noon/Noone births seemingly registered in the period 1868-75 in Warrington. However, there is a birth for a Bernard Conroy with mother's maiden name Noon

2 Bernard Conroy appears with his parents & siblings (most of the siblings have mmn as Noon)in 1881 census ref
RG11; Piece: 3793; Folio: 58; Page: 40;
1891 census  RG12; Piece: 3047; Folio: 146; Page: 24;
1911 census in prison  RG14; Piece: 27403; Page: 18

Appears on 1939 war register

3 Are Bridget Conroy (nee' Noon) & Mary Mullins (nee' Noon) sisters> Both born in Ireland

4. Just for info only John Mullins birth in mq 1870 has mmn Newn

Is it possible that if the marriage of John Mullins & Mary Noone breaks down then her (possible sister) Bridget takes Bernard in abd he takes the Conway surname?

John

Added

Marriages Mar 1869   
Noon    Bridget        Warrington    8c   190

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure that Bridget and Mary are sisters re census in 1861

RG 9; Piece: 2792; Folio: 12; Page: 18;

Quote " I do have the mother Mary and 2 children living with Bryan and Margaret Noon (her parents) on the 1881 census in Warrington."

John

Offline Rosygem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mary Noon had a sister called Bridget. And Bridget married Bernard Conroy.
Bridget and Bernard had a son called Bernard Conroy born 1872.

I have records of those censuses you mentioned for Bridget and her family....I don't think the Bernard living with Mary in 1891 in Warrington, could be the same Bernard who is on the 1891 census living with Bridget/Bernard Snr in Aspull.

But it is weird that there doesn't seem to be a birth registered around that period for either Bernard Noone/Noon/Mullins.

Yes, the mmns for John Mullins Jnr is recorded as Newn on both the index and the actual birth certificate. It's just a spelling variation.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 21 01:47 GMT (UK) »

I have searched for a birth record for Bernard Noone in both Warrington and Newcastle under Lyme. I can’t find anything that looks remotely accurate as evidence. I have tried searching using both his fathers surname and his mother’s maiden name.

I do have the mother Mary and 2 children living with Bryan and Margaret Noon (her parents) on the 1881 census in Warrington. Mary is using her married name (Mullins), she is listed as a widow again and is with her 2 children Sarah Mullins and John Mullins.

Have you tried looking for a birth registration or baptism for Bernard as Bryan?  Bryan can be a variant of Bernard. As Bryan was his grandfather's name it's a strong possibility.
Failing that, have you searched for a birth registration without a forename, just entering surname, maiden surname, year range and likely registration districts.
Try same using Moon instead of Noon in case N was incorrectly transcribed (or misheard if informant couldn't write) as M. Moon was a common surname in a part of Lancashire. I'm descended from them twice.
Cowban