Author Topic: English Soldier in Ireland  (Read 1065 times)

Offline keziah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
English Soldier in Ireland
« on: Saturday 07 August 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone could help me find more information about a family member, Samuel SANDERS, who was stationed in Ireland in 1911 to 1914. He was then sent to France and subsequently discharged into the reserves. He was recalled in approx 1920 and was again in Ireland, this time in Dublin.
After his discharge in approx 1923 he stayed in Ireland in the Dublin area. At one time he was a steward of "The New Era Club", I think it was in Eldon Street, Dublin.  In the late 1920s, early 1930s he owned "Bolton Cycle and Radio Stores" at 35 Bolton Street, Dublin.
Could anyone advise me how to find his family?
Sanders: Birmingham
Horton: Worcestershire
Birks/Burks: Shropshire
Jones: Birmingham
White: Staffordshire
Coad: Cornwall
Martin/Martyn: Cornwall
Grose: Cornwall
Opie: Cornwall/Flintshire/Cheshire
Pirt/Peart: Bassenthwaite, Cumberland
Jackson: Stockton on Tees
Herring: Hartlepool
Sarah: Cornwall
Smart: Birmingham
Hart: Birmingham
Grieveson: Durham

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: English Soldier in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Keziah,

Welcome to RootsChat.   ;D

I assume from your posting that you are looking for descendents not ancestors.

First you should post this information on the Dublin board:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=60.0

Also you could try some historical directories to find further information on his careers in Dublin:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

And you could also look through www.bt.com or www.yell.com at people with the Sanders surname.

Good Luck

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: English Soldier in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hiya Keziah

I may be mistaken but as far as I'm aware the Historical Directories site only covers Emgland and Wales. It would be a much better idea to look for Irish directories, and if someone can find them for you, Dublin directories.

You'll need www.eircomphonebook.ie to find people in Ireland. You'll also require a Dublin RootsChatter to have
a look at Thom's Directories of Ireland. It may be easier to find people named Sanders by asking a member from Dublin to look at the Dublin City Electoral Rolls Digitised. These are in the Reading Room at the Dublin City Library and Archive in Pearse Street.

Christopher