Author Topic: John Morris-Ledbury  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Morris-Ledbury
« on: Saturday 27 August 05 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

John Morris & Mary Hodges both of Ledbury Parish married in 1831.   Can anyone help in locating the birth entry for John Morris of Ledbury in about 1798.

(birth date calculated from his death certificate in 1849, aged 51)

I would appreciate any help on this and thank you in advance
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Morris-Ledbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 05 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

My brother in law (John Morris)  family originated from the Ledbury region. Do you have a Farnum Morris in you family
and did one family move to Newport, South Wales.?   

Regards
Alf Beard

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Alf

Sorry for the delay but I have been poorly but okay now so am able to answer your message.

I am not familiar with the name Farnum Morris, such an unusually Christian name and one I have never come across.  My wife’s ancestors are the Morris family from Ledbury.  Her great grandfather James Morris came to South Wales sometime prior to the 1881 census.  His occupation was that of gardener.    James was born in Ledbury abt 1835 to John Morris & wife Mary nee Hodges.  John Morris senior was a baker in Ledbury and he was Ledbury born & bred and died in 1849 aged 51.  Mary his widower survived him by fifty-years; she died aged 90 years in 1900.  John & Mary Morris had the following family: William b .c1832, John b. c1834, James b. c1835, Edward b. c1837, George b. c1840, Emily b. c1843, Benjamin b. c1846, Joesph b. c1847, Henry b. c1849, all born in Ledbury.

The son John Morris was at home on the 1841 census aged 7 years but was absent on the 1851 census.  I located him again on the 1861 census in Chapel-en-le-Frith in Derbyshire working on the railway.  By the 1871 census he had moved to Worcester, his occupation was that of Masons Labourer and he had a wife named Sarah.

I am not aware of any family in the Newport area but as you are will know many families moved to South Wales in that time seeking employment so I rule nothing out until proved different.  If any of the names are familiar to you I would be pleased to share information.

Regards

Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 05 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Many thanks for your information.  I will look at my lot and see if there is a connection.

Alf