Author Topic: Bolts burn  (Read 3667 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolts burn
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 May 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
I’m back a couple of years later now and hundreds more hours in and only a little bit more the wiser. I believe that Hannah is the daughter of Isabel and that they gave the false name of Hannah . I have since done a dna test and have lots of close relatives who are Stobbs ...a name I was not familiar with. However, there were a big family of Stobbs from Allendale who were well established Primitive Methodist preachers . My guess is that Stephenson Stobbs or his father fathered the illegitimate children of either Isabel, Hannah or Ann. Amy information on the Stobbs family would be appreciated. As Allendale Cottages were not built in 1826, Hannah May have been born in Allendale, Northumberland and then baptised in Medomsley.
I was reading this thread with interest as my dad's family were all from upper Weardale , which of course is where Boltsburn is situated.
I've just read your last post and seen the Stobbs name. My grandmother was a Stobbs ( staunch primitive Methodist family)  and whilst she was born in upper ( very) Weardale just outside Cowshill, I've recently discovered that in the late 1700's her Stobbs were in the Allendale area.
Of course Allendale isn't that far from upper Weardale which is  in the Wear Valley , but geographically it sits in the  East Allen valley. The east Allen river flows into the South Tyne River.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 July 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sueelio,
I now know that my gg grandfather was after lots of close matches came up on my DNA test to cousins in West Virginia. They could all be traced back to William Stobbs who lived an the same street as my gg grandmother Ann Ward. Stobbs was a primitive Methodist and The church was on the same street as where he lived with his wife and legitimate family and Ann and his illegitimate children . The Stobbs family all hailed originally from Allendale and it seems were sent out to spread the word. There is a lot of documented evidence to support this. Without DNA I would have never found this out.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 July 23 10:57 BST (UK) »
Interesting . Do you have Mary Ward b 1805 married John Gardiner b1803 in your tree?

I'm still trying to work my way back with my Stobbs line .
I believe I've  got back to William Stobbs b 1773 in Allendale.

Have you seen this page ?
https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/wp-search/Stobbs
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 July 23 21:52 BST (UK) »
Interesting . Do you have Mary Ward b 1805 married John Gardiner b1803 in your tree?

I'm still trying to work my way back with my Stobbs line .
I believe I've  got back to William Stobbs b 1773 in Allendale.

Have you seen this page ?
https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/wp-search/Stobbs

Apologies. I've just re read your post where you say you discounted the Boltsburn Ward / Gardiner s.
I'll carry on with my Stobbs line.

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 09:42 BST (UK) »
Did you have Mary Gardiner in your tree Sue. Are you on ancestry ?

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 July 23 11:56 BST (UK) »
Did you have Mary Gardiner in your tree Sue. Are you on ancestry ?

Yes I do and yes I am on Ancestry.
If I'm correct ( Weardale ancestry can get very difficult as there were a limited number of surnames in the area and the further back you go the more difficult it gets ) , she's my 3rd Great Grandmother.
William Whitfield Gardiner b 1844 to Mary Ward and John Gardiner
WW married  Mary Ann Dixon b1846
Mary Gardiner b 1872
Mary married Joseph Ralph Elliott
My grandfather J G Elliott b1897 ( who married Nellie Stobbs b1893 to William Stobbs 1863 and Margaret Jane Thompson b 1869)