Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 221508 times)

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Garen: The attachment refers to General Frederick Richard Maunsell, KCB, RE, who was formerly the Commandant of the Bengal Sappers during the events of 1857. He was Commander Engineers in 1878, during the Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80. I am Lt Col Anil Srivastava, Bengal Engineer Group (formerly King George V's Own Bengal Sappers and Miners, RIE).

Thank you, Anil. I don't think your PDF attachment has come through properly, but I am aware of Gen. Maunsell - he will be added to my database at some point! Regards - Garen.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline peterwimsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello - may I ask for help ?

I was disappointed searching on a 2nd Anglo-Afghan website not to find the name of an ancestor of mine - Humphrey Martin Twynam 1858-1913, who I believe took part in actions at Ahmed Khel and Urzoo (spellings ?) and was apparently recommended for, but not awarded, the VC.

Might you have any information about this person in relation to this war please ?

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

H M Twynam was a second-lieutenant in the 59th Foot. He joined the regiment in March 1879 when they were already at Kandahar and, yes, was present at the battles of Ahmed Khel and Arzu.

At Ahmed Khel he was noted by his General (Stewart) for gallantry in doing his best to save the life of one of his men - it does indeed seem that a recommendation was made for the VC. (I'm not sure yet who the man was, or if his life was saved.)

Major Twynam was involved in a bit of scandal in 1903! Perhaps you know ..?

Best - Garen

Offline peterwimsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Garen - no I don't know anything about a scandal.  1903 was the year he married.  Anything at all you can tell me about Humphrey will be most appreciated.  I believe he distinguished himself in the Boer War too.

Many thanks

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Ah - did he marry one Naomi Erbsloh?

It seems she was the wife of Mr Earnest Charles Erbsloh, and while he was away in Canada Mrs Erbsloh and Major Twynam had a bit of a fling. She left her husband and joined the Major in South Africa in 1900, and in 1903 the Erbslohs divorce was decreed.

A bit of gossip from the newspapers!

Offline peterwimsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
oh thanks for that - I have him marrying Naomi Seaward - I suppose if the divorce had gone through she would have reverted to her maiden name, something for me to investigate.  They weren't married for very long.  Naomi died in 1911 aged 42 and Humphrey died in 1913 aged 55.

Thanks again.

later update - a bit of confusion now about Naomi's age.  On the 1911 census Humphrey says she is 42.  At her death later that year she is said to be 49 - and now I find that she married Earnest Erbsloh in 1877 when she would have been only 15 (if born 1862).

further update - I now think she was born in 1859 according to the 1891 census, so the 1911 census is 10 years adrift

none of which has anything to do with the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War !!

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Saturday 15 August 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Basically, ages, places of birth, relationships and names should all be taken with a pinch of salt as far as census details are concerned. I've got Romany Gypsies in my tree - you rarely get two lots of census data in agreement! All part of the 'fun' :-)

Offline shelley28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 05 September 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Garen,
Thanks for your response re Henry Dunford. Apologies for the delay in replying.
Your information on his medical record ties up with the following I have regarding his children
Event      Person      Date      Place      Source

Married   Maria Ogden   13.09.1869   Umballa   Certificate
Birth      1st child      14.06.1870   Lucknow   Certificate
Birth      2nd child    14.12.1871   Lucknow   IGI
Birth      3rd child      26.11.1873   Lucknow   Certificate
Baptism   4th child      16.02.1876         IGI
Baptism   5th child      01.07.1877         IGI
Birth      6th child      1878      Murree      Family Records Index
Death      5th child      01.09.1879   Rawalpindi   Familysearch.org
Death      4th child      02.09.1879   Rawalpindi   Familysearch.org
Death      6th child      28.10.1879   Rawalpindi   Familysearch.org
Birth      7th child      1881      Lucknow   Family Records Index
Birth      8th child      04.01.1883   Marylebone   Certificate
Birth      9th child      18.08.1884   Edmonton   Certificate
Birth      10th child   28.04.1888   Edmonton   Certificate
Birth      11th child   28.05.1890   Edmonton   Certificate

It looks as if he returned to Britain in the middle of 1881 and that the rest of his family could have returned any time between early 1881 and early 1882 (I have not found them in the 1881 census).
I shall have to try the BNA on HMT departures/arrivals to narrow down possible return dates.
Regards Don

Offline caterpillar20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Saturday 02 January 16 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Garen,

I came across your website as I've just found out that my great grandfather was at the Siege of Kandahar (and took part in the Sortie on Deh Khoja) and I was taking my first steps in finding out more.

First up my ancestor doesn't seem to be in your database, so it would be good to add him in – how do I go about that?

Second, I was hoping you might have some tips on what resources I should be looking at for more information. The military records I have say that he was in "49 Brigade" from 28 Feb 1878 until 21 Jan 1884 (serving both in East India and Afghanistan) before moving to the 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers for a few months until he could become a reserve. His medal record gives the regiment as 2nd Battalion, 7th Foot, Royal Fusiliers, though again, I assume this relates to the 1884 assignation. It adds he was awarded the Afghan War Medal with Kandahar clasp (private Cornelius Sullivan 1623). Any tips on how I might unpick 49 Brigade? And what should be my next step in digging further into his military history? Any clues woud be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Colin.