Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 220754 times)

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #72 on: Monday 29 March 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello drummo

James Drummond was killed on 13 December 1879 - he received a gun shot to the abdomen during hand to hand fighting at the assault on the Takht-i-Shah near Kabul. Surgeon Duke described his death:

"…a Highlander stood over his fallen body [that of Lt. St. John Forbes] and bravely defended him, shooting one [Afghan] and endeavouring  to bayonet another, who seized the Highlander's rifle, and a deadly struggle took place, during which he was cut down from behind and killed, and then the officer he had tried to save. Such is the manner in which Lieutenant St John Forbes and Colour-Sergeant James Drummond met their death."

The regimental history notes that:

"Colour-Sergeant Drummond had twenty-one years' service; he was a native of Stanley in Perthshire, and an athlete who excelled in putting the stone and throwing the hammer."

There is a photo of him next to the famous Hector MacDonald in the regimental history (it shows most of the sergeants of the regiment in 1879). I've attached an enlargement below - Drummond is on the left, MacDonald on the right.

James Drummond received the Afghan War medal with two clasps, for Charasia and Kabul. His army number was 488. On the occasion of the Imperial Assemblage at Delhi to honour Queen Victoria being proclaimed Empress of India (1876), one sergeant from each regiment present received a commemoration medal - for the 92nd this was James Drummond.

Do you have any more information about his wife and children (names, dates etc?)

Hope this is useful, all best - Garen

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen
First my apologies if you have already received my reply to your incredibly detailed email regarding Colour Sergeant James Drummond!  Many thanks indeed for the information, just what we were hoping for, and as for a photo as well - absolutely fantastic being able to put a face to the name.
We know from the 1871 Scottish Census that he was born about 1840 in Redgorton, Perthshire and his wife Jane about 1837 in Auchengray, Perthshire.
He had 4 children, Jane born about 1868, Charles about 1870, Margaret about 1871 and James about 1874.  We've not found any trace so far, of Jane and the 2 girls in the 1881 Scottish census but, have found there a Charles (age 11) and a James (age7) Drummond in a Midlothian Orphanage Hospital and suspect these could be the Colour Sergeant's 2 boys.  Any ideas?  Would the Highlanders have helped the family in any way after the death of James?  Also is there any record of where James would have been buried?
Again many. many thanks for all the splendid information, regards Drummo

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 05 April 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Drummo

Really pleased what I offered was useful.  I can't say for certain where James Drummond would have been buried - the best I can say is at Kabul or somewhere within or around the Sherpur Cantonment there. It's a question I get a fair bit and I'll have to see what information I can gather on burials, there's not a lot of specific information around.

As for James's wife, I believe as the widow of a soldier killed in action she should have received a year of her husband's pay, provided in quarterly instalments.

Best - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 08 April 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen

Thank you for the info on the possible burial place of Colour Sergeant James Drummond. I've now possibly found his wife and 2 daughters on the 1881 Scottish census, showing that they had another daughter whilst in India (Katherine b1878) - I wonder if poor James ever saw this daughter (of course I could be going off on completely the wrong tangent though)!

I will see if I can get any further info on Kabul and the Sherpur Cantonment (should I be lucky, I'll get back to you).  I've also now got a little bit more history on Hector MacDonald but can't find anything on Lieutenant St John Forbes so far.

Once again thanks very much for all the family history you've given us, it really has been so interesting and remarkable.  However if you do find any further info or photos, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards Drummo

Offline cuckoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 18 July 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
hi i am looking to see if my gggrandfather thomas williams 1st batt 5th regiment northumberland fusiliers had the afghan medal, he served in india from 1867-1880 when he came home early due to exhaustion related illness,the regiment came home in 1881 just a few months later would that mean hed not get a medal. he was born 1839 shropshire and after being in hospital in netley returned to oswestry shropsire, thank loved reading all the other posts,
dorricott,williams.egan.owen.tynan,hunt

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 19 July 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello cuckoo

The medal roll for the 5th Northumberland regiment includes two T. Williams, both privates, service numbers 840 and 1294. Both are listed as 'discharged' (before 14 Jan 1882, when the roll for the 5th was compiled).

If Thomas served with the regiment during the campaign, even if he was discharged early, he would have received the Afghan war medal. The best thing to do now would be to check out the service records and see if the details of either matches up with your gg-grandfather.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/chelsea-pensioners-service-records-collection-search-start.action

All the best - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline cuckoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 19 July 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
hi garen thanks for your quick reply, my thomas was infact 840 so im to assume that he had the medal, thanks very much.
dorricott,williams.egan.owen.tynan,hunt

Offline Alba11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my great-grandfather Duncan Gray for some months now.  I just want to say a big "Thank You, Garen" for the hints you have provided on your site, and your amazing enthusiasm for the Second Anglo-Afgan War.  I have managed to obtain my ggf's service record and also his medal roll entry.
I read from your site that you are not currently adding to your database but when you have time to start again I would be happy to provide the details of my research.  Just a quickie; Duncan Gray was a Sgt Major 2ndBatt/8th Foot and discharged in 1880, having joined up in 1858.
I think this forum is an excellent 'find'

All the best
Ken

Offline McKen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 05 August 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Drummo, I am new to this forum.  I stummbled across your postings while investigating my husband's family tree and although not confirmed I think I have some information which might help you. 
My husband's Great Grandfather, George McKenzie, married a Margaret Drummond in Falkirk in May 1895, at that time she was a domestic servant and her usual residence recorded as Callendar (Perthshire) she was 22 when she married.  Their marriage certificate shows her parent's as James Drummond, occupation Colour Sergeant, 92nd Foot Regiment - deceased.  Margaret's mother was called Jane Roy.  This led me to search for more information on Colour Sergeant James Drummond and that's when I came across this site and your postings.  I believe that the James Drummond you are investigating to be the same and that his daughter, Margaret is my husband's Great Grandmother but I'm not sure.  Further information found on the web shows that Colour Sergeant James Drummond had a wife called Jane and one of his daughter's was called Margaret.   
The 1891 census shows an 18 year old Margaret Drummond as a domestic servant in Huntingtontower House, Tibbermore, Perthshire. This village being remarkably close to Colour Sergeant James Drummond's own birthplace (Auchtergaven/Stanley/Redgorton vicinity - 13/8/1839).  The census shows her birthplace as Aberdeen which threw me slightly as I assumed she'd have been born in Perthshire also.  I believe however that Colour Sergeant James Drummond and his family did live in Aberdeen at one point.  Perhaps I'm clutching at straws but I wondered if she had returned to this area after the death of her father?

George McKenzie and Margaret Drummond had a son called Charles Drummond McKenzie, my husband's grandfather (Falkirk 1911).  If I am correct my husband is a great, great grandson of colour sergeant James Drummond.  Do you have any information which can assist in confirming this?