Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 220162 times)

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #315 on: Saturday 27 July 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen

Apologies, I may be jumping in here before you've posted your follow-up with 1914 details.

You're right to say that the 70th Foot were not involved in the march from Kabul to Kandahar in 1880, but neither were they present at the subsequent final battle. They were at Kandahar in the first stage of the campaign, reaching the city in Jan 1879, but by April 1879 the regiment were back in India, their part in the Afghan campaign over for good.

I don't know what your source is for Henry King being on the Kabul-Kandahar march, but perhaps it has come out of the fact that he did march to Kandahar, but from Quetta under General Biddulph at the start of the campaign, not the later march under Roberts for which a bronze star was awarded.

Best - Garen.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline StephenPaternoster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Sunday 28 July 19 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for clarifying that it makes more sense now where was 70th Foot stationed in India it sounds like he did march from Quetta to Kandahar my uncle was the one who told me when he was younger he was told that Henry King did march from Kabul to Kandahar I need to look up his army records for when was in 70th Foot but Ancestry does not have access to that looks like National Archives I will send 1914 stuff soon but I need to get it off my iPhone onto my laptop.

Regards

Stephen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Saturday 10 August 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gabe

I have attached a photo of Henry King serving in territorial force later on in life and it says 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot as previous military but it's a bit difficult to read but to me that is what it says. Can you make it out being that as well.

Regards

Stephen

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Friday 23 August 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply, Stephen.

Yes, definitely the 70th Foot (East Surrey Rgt), and he's on the Afghan War medal roll for the 70th Foot too, Private, service no. 743.

Best - Garen.

Hi Gabe

I have attached a photo of Henry King serving in territorial force later on in life and it says 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot as previous military but it's a bit difficult to read but to me that is what it says. Can you make it out being that as well.

Regards

Stephen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Friday 23 August 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gabe

I have a photo of Henry Kings Afghan medal record which I found recently I was going to attach it but the file is big.

I also found a book on Sir Michael Biddulphs march from Quetta to Kandahar called March From The Indus To Helmund and Back 1878 to 1879 do you know about the book?

Is there any chance Henry King can be added to your database?.

Regards

Stephen

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Friday 23 August 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd be more than happy to add Henry to the database. Are you able to provide a few more details about him (birth, marr, death, brief biog, etc.) - you can private message me the details if you'd prefer.

I do know the March from the Indus to Helmund ... and have a copy, though not in book form - it originally appeared as an article in the Journal of the Royal United Service Institution in 1881. I see it has been reprinted as a print-on-demand book, which is happening with a lot of old articles and papers (often quite badly produced). I's a long article but makes for a fairly short book at just 55 pages.

Best - Garen

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Saturday 24 August 19 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Garen

My 2 x great uncle Robert Harrigate served in the Afghan Campaign 1878-9-80 according to his service records on FindMyPast.

These records are a little complex, especially for a novice in matters military such as myself, and not least because he deserted a couple of times earlier in and served under an alias for a while, but he definitely seems to have been part of the above campaign. I would be grateful if you could explain which bit of the Royal Artillery he was in during the Second Anglo Afghan War. I assume you have access to these records?

The records say he was eligible for a medal for the Afghan Campaign, and a clasp for Ahmed Khel? The line above says he was eligible for a medal for the Egyptian Medal and ( in different hand writing ) Bronze Star. Was there a Bronze Star associated with the Egypt campaign or is this more likely to refer to the Afghan campaign?

It looks as if he may have been in the 11th Brigade in 1878 - is that right? Your website seems to say this was one of the mountain brigades - have I interpreted this correctly?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Saturday 24 August 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello SelDen

What an interesting service record! Great to have his alias recorded :-)

Yes, Robert was in 11/11 R.A, which is No. 11 Battery 11th Brigade (a mountain battery). They were involved in the Afghan campaign from the beginning, marching to Kandahar with General Biddulph's column and reaching the city in Jan 1879. They stayed in the area for the next few months, with parts of the battery operating as far as Kalat-i-Ghilzai and Girishk, and staying for a period at Kokaran. They were in action at Shah Jui in Oct 1879. In March 1880 they were attached to General Stewart's column that marched from Kandahar to the Logar valley, then Kabul, taking part in the major action of Ahmed Khel en-route in April. They left Kabul in August 1880, returning to India through the Khyber Pass and arriving at Peshawar in early September.

The bronze star mentioned will be the Khedive's Bronze Star, awarded for the 1882 Egypt campaign. For this he was in 1/1 (No. 1 Battery 1st Brigade) London Division as an Acting Bombardier (he was a Gunner in the Afghan war).

Hope this helps!
- Garen

Hello Garen

My 2 x great uncle Robert Harrigate served in the Afghan Campaign 1878-9-80 according to his service records on FindMyPast.

These records are a little complex, especially for a novice in matters military such as myself, and not least because he deserted a couple of times earlier in and served under an alias for a while, but he definitely seems to have been part of the above campaign. I would be grateful if you could explain which bit of the Royal Artillery he was in during the Second Anglo Afghan War. I assume you have access to these records?

The records say he was eligible for a medal for the Afghan Campaign, and a clasp for Ahmed Khel? The line above says he was eligible for a medal for the Egyptian Medal and ( in different hand writing ) Bronze Star. Was there a Bronze Star associated with the Egypt campaign or is this more likely to refer to the Afghan campaign?

It looks as if he may have been in the 11th Brigade in 1878 - is that right? Your website seems to say this was one of the mountain brigades - have I interpreted this correctly?

Thanks for any help.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Saturday 24 August 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Garen - much appreciated. This will give me a foothold for further reading. I have found your website most helpful also.

Regards,

Selden