Author Topic: Covid Vaccination  (Read 16433 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Apparently Indonesia are vaccinating frontline workers first, followed by 18 - 59 year olds.

That looks to be partly due to the vaccine they're using hasn't yet been approved for those aged 60+.

News.com.au
Indonesia’s very different vaccine plan
13 Jan 2021
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/indonesia-takes-very-different-approach-to-mass-vaccination-program/news-story/9bc6208167f30aece656c4fa8185ebd3

Younger people will be first in line to receive the jab in the initial phase of the rollout that began on Wednesday, a strategy that stands in stark contrast to most other nations that are starting with older and more vulnerable populations.

Health officials the archipelago of nearly 270 million people say the distribution of the jab developed by China’s Sinovac will start with the working age population because regulators have not yet approved it as safe for the over-60s.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I agree with him, if we want to get children back to school we need to get teachers and support staff vaccinated. I have young relatives who have been off school several times, not because anyone in their bubble has caught Covid, but because staff have it, or have to self isolate, so there aren't enough staff in school. Also if schools or year groups in schools have to close, that means parents have to take time off work.

Most older people are being careful and staying in, so we can wait a few more weeks if necessary.
I'm sure the teachers' unions will still find reason to oppose returning  ::)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »
For those of you who haven't seen it, the UK's JCVI's document detailing their advice for priority groups and phases is worth a read as it shows how they reached their conclusions. It has a long list of references, of data and reports, that they took into consideration, including occupational risks.

Personally, I can't see the government and health service deviating from the JCVI's advice, at least for Phase 1.

GOV.UK
Updated 6 January 2021
Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation: advice on priority groups for COVID-19 vaccination, 30 December 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

Vaccine priority groups: advice on 30 December 2020
Phase 1 – direct prevention of mortality and supporting the NHS and social care system

JCVI advises that the first priorities for the COVID-19 vaccination programme should be the prevention of mortality and the maintenance of the health and social care systems. As the risk of mortality from COVID-19 increases with age, prioritisation is primarily based on age. The order of priority for each group in the population corresponds with data on the number of individuals who would need to be vaccinated to prevent one death, estimated from UK data obtained from March to June 2020:

1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3. all those 75 years of age and over
4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5. all those 65 years of age and over
6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
7. all those 60 years of age and over
8. all those 55 years of age and over
9. all those 50 years of age and over

It is estimated that taken together, these groups represent around 99% of preventable mortality from COVID-19.

The next phase – further reduction in hospitalisation and targeted vaccination of those at high risk of exposure and/or those delivering key public services

As the first phase of the programme is rolled out in the UK, additional data will become available on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines. This data will provide the basis for consideration of vaccination in groups that are at lower risk of mortality from COVID-19.

The committee is currently of the view that the key focus for the second phase of vaccination could be on further preventing hospitalisation.

Vaccination of those at increased risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2 due to their occupation could also be a priority in the next phase. This could include first responders, the military, those involved in the justice system, teachers, transport workers, and public servants essential to the pandemic response. Priority occupations for vaccination are considered an issue of policy, rather than for JCVI to advise on. JCVI asks that the Department of Health and Social Care consider occupational vaccination in collaboration with other government departments.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I agree with him, if we want to get children back to school we need to get teachers and support staff vaccinated. I have young relatives who have been off school several times, not because anyone in their bubble has caught Covid, but because staff have it, or have to self isolate, so there aren't enough staff in school. Also if schools or year groups in schools have to close, that means parents have to take time off work.

Most older people are being careful and staying in, so we can wait a few more weeks if necessary.

I think that's uncalled for, ReadyDale.

I won't be engaging further, but I just wanted to mention that to you.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »

Have taught for over 30 year before retiring, I totally disagree with that and in fact find it offensive.  From speaking to colleagues who are still teaching, it is far harder at the moment than it is normally. Most teachers are having to prepare two lessons - one for those children at home and one for those in school. They are also presenting these lessons to those at home in the form of Google Classroom or similar. In a lot of schools the staff take it in turns to go in to cover the increasing number of children who are attending school, they certainly aren't sitting at home on holiday! Teachers want to get back to what they are trained to do and that is teach children in school.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »

UPDATE:
The jet-ski is for sale on eBay! ;D

In good working order, low mileage, one careful owner - used once only.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
No doubt it is possible to make a compelling case for several professions to be a priority case for receiving the vaccine but the order, which seems to have been adopted by all four UK nations, has been decided by the JVCI, an independent body.
Here, in Wales, the "roll out" of the vaccine has been slow and it seems we have the lowest rate of administering it in the UK. Our First Minister, Mark Drakeford, made a statement saying that the vaccination programme was "not a sprint". Mmmmm ..... I have no argument with that because it is a marathon, but one which must be run at the rate of a sprint throughout its entirety.
Yesterday in Cardiff and Vale Health Board nineteen people failed to attend for their vaccinations. Whilst I appreciate some may have a valid reason for this, I am sure some certainly will not. I don't know how much this is being replicated across the UK but I hope it is not widespread.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I echo Groom's comment and reaction completely. Teachers I still know in the job are really frustrated, and worried, and trying very hard to do several impossible tasks at the same time, with many people sniping at them, usually from a not-very-well-informed position.
So no change there, then?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »

That's totally out of order! >:( >:(
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)