Author Topic: Richard SEAGER 1700s  (Read 234 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Richard SEAGER 1700s
« on: Saturday 09 January 21 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I know that Richard S SEAGER of Greenwich Rd, tanner,  and his wife Elizabeth had children baptised at the Independent Chapel, High Street, Deptford, Formerly Butt Lane (Independent), between 1763 and 1776.

The only record I find of a marriage for Richard SEAGER and an Elizabeth is
29 December, 1760 at Sundridge, by Licence
Richard SEAGER, residence: Greenwich,    Elizabeth ALLEN of Sundridge (both sign)
One of the witnesses to this wedding is a David ASHDOWN.

Elizabeth SEAGE, mother of the children baptised at Butt Lane, cites a David ASHDOWN of Brasted as an executor of her will dated 1788 so I’m assuming that this is probably her marriage.

There is a baptism on the Butt Lane registers for a child Richard SEAGER 10 October 1761, son of Richard S, (Greenwich Rd, Tanner) and of Mary, his wife.  Obviously this child’s dates fit well with his parents having married approx 9 months before – so is this a transcription error and is this the first child of Richard and Elizabeth?  (The images for the Chapel on Ancestry appear to be written in the same hand over many years so I’m assuming they are transcribed from other original material).

Richard and Elizabeth do have a child Richard baptised in 1769 at Butt Lane but, as we know, it’s not unusual to have a later child bearing the same name.

Richard SEAGER’s last child is baptised 1776 and Elizabeth, widow of Richard SEAGER dies in 1788, still living in Greenwich Rd, Greenwich,  and her age is given as 50, (thus an assumed birthdate of c1738).

I cannot find a death 1775-1788, or a will for Richard, nor can I narrow down a birth for him from the possibles.

Any help gratefully received.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk