Author Topic: Can anyone help me identify my G grandmothers house in Mytchett Surrey  (Read 950 times)

Offline friesland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me identify my G grandmothers house in Mytchett Surrey
« on: Saturday 09 January 21 23:11 GMT (UK) »
My G Grandmother's death certificate shows that she (Frances Siggery) died in the Farnham Workhouse infirmary in 1916 and that she had been living, as had her son the informant, at a cottage at Mytchett, Frimley. The name of the cottages is very difficult to decipher from the handwriting but could be "Miners Arms" although arms could be alms I suppose. I looked at the 1911 Census and it shows her living with a son and although this is W.F Siggery and not A.W Siggery as per her death certificate it could be the same. The census shows her living at the Thatched Cottages, Guildford Road, Frimley Green, Farnborough, Hants.
I have attached a copy of death certificate although I have had to crop it drastically to get under the permitted size..
Could anyone suggest whether this might be the same address and what the cottages might have been called?
Thanks for any help.
Peter

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me identify my G grandmothers house in Mytchett Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 21 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Well done on the scan!

Do you think another son Albert (Walter) SIGGERY b 1879 was the informant?

His address on the 1911 is close!

Maureen

Offline friesland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I should have realised that. The William James (born 1870) on the 1911 Census who Fanny was living with is not the Albert Walter (born 1879) who was informant on the death certificate.

That still leaves my question whether it might be the same cottage and the name of the cottage on the death certificate.

Regards

Peter

Offline friesland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, it must be the lateness of the hour.

I've just looked up Albert Walter in the 1911 census and yes he lived at 2 Miners Cottages. So that explains the house name on the death certificate in 1916.

Perhaps she was living with her older son, William James, in 1911 and the Thatched Cottages mentioned are in fact a different house. I may never know.

Thank you

Peter

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Remember that the census was taken one night in ten years, so someone could have been staying briefly with family or friends rather than living with them for any length of time.

You often find that people died in places other than their own home - I suppose this could be due to it being more suitable than their usual residence, someone able to care for them, more room, no children in the way, quieter, or any number of other reasons.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me identify my G grandmothers house in Mytchett Surreyj
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I expect that “Thatched Cottage” and Miners Cottages would be different addresses. For a start it looks like you have one thatched cottage vs several miner’s cottages.  ;)

Here is Guildford Road Frimley Green:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.05859086954783&lat=51.30167&lon=-0.72559&layers=168&right=BingHyb

I don’t know where Miners Cottages Mytchett were, but if it were the same address wouldn’t it be Miners Cottages Frimley Green? Frimley Green is north of Mytchett isn’t it?

I would expect Miners Cottages to have been purpose built to house miner’s families and dont think they would have been thatched, though that is pure speculation.

I will see if I can discover any more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I trawlled through the 1911 census but was only able to identify a few of the addresses around Thatched cottage:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.05859086954783&lat=51.30098&lon=-0.72530&layers=168&right=BingHyb

from ....
Frimley Lodge and Kings Head Public house bottom right of the old map here:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.05859086954783&lat=51.30098&lon=-0.72530&layers=168&right=BingHyb

to ....
The Rose and Thistle (PH) and the Post Office (PO) on Sturt Road in the top left of the map. There are numerous residences in between those locations. There are a number of addresses “off” Guildford Road. Thatched Cottage looks to be within that small area - the addresses before and after specify “off” Guildford Road so Thatched Cottage may be as well.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 21 02:36 GMT (UK) »
I just realised that the address on the dc says Miners Arms Cottages .... I wonder if it is anywhere near the Miners Arms PH (south of Frimley Green)?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.00028173831353&lat=51.29606&lon=-0.72800&layers=6&right=BingHyb

It might be worth trying to find these cottages on the 1911 census. You can do an address search on FindMyPast - which may help find a more precise location.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 21 08:42 GMT (UK) »
I found Albert Siggery and family on the 1911 census living at 2 Miners Cottages, Mytchett.
Their neighbours give a bit more detail about their address:
No 1 Miners Arms Cottages, Mytchett Road, Frimley Green.

Doing a bit more searching shows The Miner’s Arms Public House just before the two Miner’s (Arms) Cottages. This pub is still there today.  :)

Then heading south on Mytchett Road there are a number more addresss before you get to Aspen Farm (which you can see on the map below.)

If you look at the 1915-1919 map on this link and you will see quite a lot of detail, and some houses just south of The Miners Arms pub which may be your cottages:
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/488500/156500/12/101151
(not sure if this link takes you to the right place - you might need to scroll down a bit)

So I think that proves that Thatched Cottage and Miner’s Cottages are not one and the same. :)