Author Topic: A Kingston - North Waltham Church Memorial  (Read 449 times)

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
A Kingston - North Waltham Church Memorial
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm currently researching the names on the WW1/WW2 memorial at a nearby church in North Waltham.  I have managed to identify all who are commemorated apart from one individual, listed only as A Kingston who, I believe, fell in WW1 (WW2 fallen are listed separately).  Unfortunately, I have no first name, rank or branch of service.

I have checked the 1911 census but can find no obvious link to the village (or nearby Popham), for anyone with the surname of Kingston.  Looking at the available information on the CWGC website doesn't give me any firm starting point either.  Ancestry has given me a few leads, but none have resulted in finding a male, with the initial 'A' with links to the area.

I believe that there may be two documents worth checking at the Hampshire Record Office, but I will have to wait until Covid restrictions are relaxed/lifted.  Whilst I wait for that opportunity, I wonder if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions I could look at, in the meantime, in order to positively identify this individual.

Many thanks, in advance.
Thudders

Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Kingston - North Waltham Church Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out the A Kingston - possibly Arthur born Portsea 1889 - who was a seaman.

Or Arthur Frank born 1891 who was a private 1st Battn Hampshire regiment.  Maybe that one is more likely.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Re: A Kingston - North Waltham Church Memorial
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milliepede,
Thank you for your reply.  I can't rule anyone out yet as there's not much to go on  :-\

Like you, I think Arthur Frank is the front-runner, but until I can get access to the record office and view the two documents, I think I'll just keep digging and see what turns up.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look.
My best,
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool