Author Topic: Searching for half cousins  (Read 420 times)

Offline EllieD1432

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for half cousins
« on: Monday 11 January 21 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, hope everyone is keeping safe and well

Unfortunately I have set myself a task that I am finding difficult to complete.
My 1st cousin and I have both been Ancestry DNA tested. I promised her that I would find her half sisters who were born in Adelaide, Australia after an affair. Both my cousins parents have passed, but before he died, her father told her about these two children.
I have the name of the mother, a photo of the girls and possibly their names but trawling through Australian records has thrown up nothing I can work with.
If anyone can offer any assistance in how to move on forward, I'd be grateful

many thanks
Ellie

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for half cousins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 21 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ellie, it may be something of a long-shot to hope your cousin’s half siblings have had a DNA test, and specifically with Ancestry. You’d be looking for matches with very high centimorgans (cMs), possibly in the range of 1160 to 2436 - see DNA Painter’s shared cM tool below.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

If the half siblings have children, these would be half nieces/nephews with a possible range of 492-1315 cM.

If you don’t have such high matches with Ancestry, you could try uploading your cousin’s DNA to MyHeritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch but, again, it’s something of a long shot, especially as these have smaller databases (versus Ancestry).

I see you’ve also posted on the Australia forum and people offered some advice there. Have you thought of putting an ad in the local paper, or is the situation too sensitive for that?

Offline EllieD1432

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for the advice, I have uploaded Tracy's DNA to My Heritage. I think advertising is a good way to go but my cousin is not so sure. I need to talk her round!

This is what my maternal cousin Tracy and I share

Shared DNA - 721 cM
Shared segments - 33
Largest segment - 56.4‎ cM

The next largest number of cM is 109, is a 2nd cousin twice removed from my paternal side.

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Don't leave out FTDNA to upload, (I found my half sister there 1628 CM). "Tracy" is a first cousin to you. Her half sisters would be half first cousins to you and I would expect a CM range match to you to be in the 290 to 400 range but to her the match would be as Flemming describes. You can try genealogy blogs and bulletin boards also. Good luck