Author Topic: Information on two 19th century clergymen  (Read 1252 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on two 19th century clergymen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Some editions of Crockford are on line, I think on Ancestry.
Try also searching for them on Alumni Cantabrigienses and Alumni Oxonienses

Ancestry has Crockford's editions from:
1868, 1874, 1885, 1898, 1908 and 1932
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Just three entries as far as I can see - 1868, 1874,  1898

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks for those replies. It did cross my mind late last night that they would be in the university lists, though I am not sure they would help with the changes of livings?

"Richard James Coling is in the same college list in 1862  ( described as s of James, linen-draper of Chipping Norton)."
  Anthony - that is quite odd,as in 1861, James was a curate in Shrewsbury; grandfather Richard was the draper, died 1846.
  K.G - as you say, Crockfords would normally be my first thought. I might try ringing or emailing the Cathedral Archives.
   Gadget - just seen your reply. I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment, so can't check it.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:31 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks for those replies. It did cross my mind late last night that they would be in the university lists, though I am not sure they would help with the changes of livings?

"Richard James Coling is in the same college list in 1862  ( described as s of James, linen-draper of Chipping Norton)."
  Anthony - that is quite odd,as in 1861, James was a curate in Shrewsbury; grandfather Richard was the draper, died 1846.
  K.G - as you say, Crockfords would normally be my first thought. I might try ringing or emailing the Cathedral Archives.
   Gadget - just seen your reply. I don't have access to Ancestry at the moment, so can't check it.

Both are listed, with details of birth and/or baptism, parentage, and the places and dates of the livings they had in the Cambridge Alumni Collection on Ancestry.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I'll PM you  :)

I looked around for a guide to the abbreviations and found a great advert for 'Vino Sacro, the Perfect Altar Wine'  When I took communion, I thought it was just watered plonk  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Both appear in the online Cambridge Alumni database, with a summarised biography - essentially the same as in the printed versions found in various places online, plus an "enhanced" version, and free to view. As Antony pointed out earlier, they appear not to be father and son, though the similarities in their appointments might suggest they were related to each other and possibly also the patron(s) of the churches they served.

They are the only two people in the database named Coling, so it's easy to give a link to both their details:

https://venn.lib.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search-2018.pl?sur=coling&suro=w&fir=&firo=c&cit=&cito=c&c=all&z=all&tex=&sye=&eye=&col=all&maxcount=50

I see there's a gap in James's record from 1858-1867, so perhaps his appointment in Shrewsbury was never reported to Cambridge. Those with access to Crockford might be able to tell us more; copies for that period might also include the names of the patrons of the livings concerned.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks Arthur - that sounds promising.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you everyone, things are a bit clearer now, but I think I will have to re-assess the earlier relationships. Maybe this evening!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:05 GMT (UK) »
The Cambridge Alumni gives much better information, very much like the info that I got from the CofE db for some of my ancestors.