Author Topic: Poorhouse Calton Glasgow  (Read 868 times)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poorhouse Calton Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Sancti I have had a look thanks for the link. It says it's a day industrial school but I think that obviously she would have been residing there. Can't see that she'd be travelling from Greenock to Glasgow of a day really. Do you think that children boarded there too? thanks
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
You would really need the name of the institution from the census record

What does the front page say?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Understanding the content in census records
Each search result includes a . link. This opens a digital image of the relevant page in the enumeration book. You have options to 'browse forwards', 'browse backwards' and 'view header (free)'. The header contains digital images of the preliminary section of the enumeration book including the title page, description of the enumeration district and summary statistics compiled by the enumerator. They are free to view.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
So it says on the header County of Lanark reg district of Calton Enumeration Book for the Undernamed Institution and there's no name. When you flick onto the next header page it says To the Chief officer or person in charge of every prison poorhouse asylum charitable organisation or other public institution but it doesn't name it specifically. You'd think it should wouldn't you.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »
To discover why your ancestor was in the institution you'd have to look at the actual institutional records. She might have been in the institution for a few years. It might say mother/father ail or out of work and can't feed their child, or they can't control the child. 

I have something similar in my English branch.  My widowed gt. grandfathermarried a widow.  She had her two youngest children living with her but she'd put her three older cvhildren in the local children's home where they'd get free bed and board plus free and free clothes education and training for employment.  In the event of their marriage my gt. grandfather took them out of the home to live with the full family.   Voincidentally they were members of the Salvation Army and my grandmother was a tambourine girl.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:26 GMT (UK) »
OK so managed to find the institution. Just noticed a link to open the page in a different viewer. It was a Catholic girls orphanage in Gallowgate. Not quite sure how she came to be there if her mother was still alive. But at least I know part of her story. Thanks for help on this.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Maybe records have survived regarding her admission

https://www.catholic-heritage.net/

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 July 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
Anent The Calton, The Scottish Genealogist mag' in the current issue, has part III of "Reminiscences of Calton!" which originally were published in the Scottish Canadian in 1893.
 These wee tales of the families of the handloom weaving folk, a dying breed then, are excellent, possibly available from The Scottish Genealogy Society,  www.scotsgenealogy.com

Bests,
Skoosh.