Author Topic: Charles Richard Sherwood - Rye Harbour/West Hartlepool??  (Read 362 times)

Offline PaulMonsters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Richard Sherwood - Rye Harbour/West Hartlepool??
« on: Thursday 14 January 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just recently started getting obsessively into my family history and have been going through photos that belonged to my Gran. Unfortunately, most of the pictures do not have names and I have been trying to put faces to names by identifying people in group photos.

The photo below I believed to be that of Charles Richard Sherwood (born Rye Harbour 1849 & lived in West Hartlepool from the 1871 Census). I have no way of knowing if it is him apart from a picture that I have of this same man in two group photos, one with my Great Grandfather (they have very similar facial features) and another with my Great Great Grandmother on the other side of the family.

I believe the two medals he is wearing are the British War Medal and the Mercantile Marine War Medal, searching for these his name doesn't come up so I am a little stumped. He also has a masons chain on, I have contacted the Masons in Durham but am yet to hear anything back.

If anyone help with the identification of him that would be incredible! Thanks in advance.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Richard Sherwood - Rye Harbour/West Hartlepool??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 21 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul and welcome to Rootschat, to help with dating, it's a good idea to post the whole photo including the back. This looks like it could be a postcard photo. If you could post the others including the backs, that you have it would help to compare them and help with dates and ages
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline PaulMonsters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol. Unfortunately I don't have the original pictures with me so have no images of the backs of the photos. Below are the group pictures I have.

First picture, back row; John Charles Sherwood (my Great Grandfather), who I believe to be Charles Richard Sherwood, Frank Caister (also guessed), don't know, front row; don't know, Rosa Charlotte Caister (nee.Rubie), my Gran Rhoda Rubie Sherwood (on lap), Donald Sherwood and Rosa Mary Caister.
Second picture, back row; Frank Caister, Rhoda Jane Caister(?), Charles Richard Sherwood(?), front row; Rosa Charlotte Caister (nee.Rubie), Frances Emma Rubie (?), don't know.

I hope these help with identification! Thanks again.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 21 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest checking out your family facts to find out who served their country & in which roles with which services.

It may be easier to match people once you know their military or other background matching with ages/dates etc?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 21 04:22 GMT (UK) »
If the first photo is of someone born in 1849, he would have been in his late 60s during WW1.

So the medals would have to be from an earlier war??

Just thinking aloud really

Wiggy.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline PaulMonsters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 21 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I'm tirelessly going through all the males in the extended family to try and find out military backgrounds. Hopefully someone will match at some point...or maybe someone on here will recognise the gentleman at some point in the future!

Offline PaulMonsters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
So after putting many many hours in and a fair few sleepless nights I believe the man in the picture is that of William Dyer (B. 1864 in Henbury) married to Matilda Caister (my forebears sister). All of his records and dates fit to both the medals and chain in the picture! This has also lead on to identifying other people in pictures that I have! Hopefully someone researching the Dyer's may be able to completely confirm everything at some point in the future.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm not the best at comparing faces, but to me the chap in the first photo looks similar to the one you've named as Frank Caister in the first group (back row, second from left).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk