Author Topic: Diary > Friday 15 January  (Read 792 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 15 January
« on: Friday 15 January 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
My new boiler was fitted today and is slowly getting the flat up to temperature. Two very nice young men all masked up the whole time, they arrived at 9 and left at 4.30. I was here all the time in my study doing family history until the lap top had a hissy fit and froze! I had a little kettle coffee milk and biscuits with me. They were very tidy and cleaned up everything. Another hour and the flat will be warm. I might sleep tonight as I won’t be worried that I might not have heat tomorrow!

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Friday 15 January
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Great news Gibel, glad that's been sorted. It's so cold at the moment, reliable heat is really needed.  :)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, really pleased for you.
Do you know what was wrong, it seems a long  job.

I have a service contract, but it was new boiler when I moved in.

Anyway you are nice nice and cosy now,.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness Gibel you can have a good nights sleep, don't set the alarm !!

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I finally decided to attack some loose woodchip wallpaper in my lounge.
The wall there is an outside wall, which is made of local Manx stone - notorious for being a little porous!

No problem getting it off.
But the paper had been stuck directly onto plasterboard :o
Not skimmed or plastered.

So I reckon I need to get a plasterer in now :(
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody, I knew it was going to take all day but they certainly worked hard and vacuumed the kitchen then wiped the floor and vacuumed the lounge where their dust sheets had been. They must have been frozen especially the one sorting out the flue outside! The boiler has a 10 year guarantee which is great.

It was lovely being warm this evening and my bedroom was warmer than it’s been for a long time. I’m hopeful I’ll have a lovely sleep to night. Night night everyone.

PS sorry to hear about your trials KG with the wood chip and plasterboard.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 January 21 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Gibel- delighted to hear your new boiler is up and running... the  thought of a good nights sleep and knowing you’re going to wake up to warmth in the morning I’m sure will be a great relief to you...
We had a similar problem a few years ago when our boiler decided to give up the ghost after almost 30 years.... about two weeks before Christmas... we’re fortunate to have an open fire in the living room and friends lent us electric radiators which got moved from one room to another... it was a particularly cold snap too... couldn’t have the new one until after New Year so we were relieved that we were spending Christmas with our daughter and stayed for more time than usual! In the end they were able to put the new one in before the New Year...

KG - brave to start decorating in this weather.... not my most favourite occupation any time but certainly not now... good luck with having to replaster your wall!

My day
I read until the wee small hours of the morning to finish my book forgetting that we needed to be up earlier than usual this morning as the plumber was coming to try and deal with the kitchen sink tap.... no trades people in the house since March last year and now three in the space of a week.... I’ve kept out of the way every time and just cleaned and sanitised everything after they’ve gone...
He arrived on time and the conclusion is... new tap! After he’d gone we spent sometime looking for a new one and eventually found what we needed so OH ordered it online and should be here next week and he’ll come to fit it on 28th Jan...
Had a call from friend in the village re village hall ... I’d had a letter from a cycle group who want to use the halls facilities in March for a bike riders....I needed to ask someone else on the management team too and we decided I’d write to say sorry but hall not open... not seen her for almost a year which is crazy as she lives at the bottom of the village!
Some good news the dog warden called and he wants to come and see us to take a statement next week... we said yes but going to have written one to give him so he’s not here for any longer than necessary.... not keen having all these people in the house... albeit they’ve come to the back gate and only into the kitchen...
Had a tidy upstairs after lunch had a read... new book by Nathan Dylan Goodwin ... different sort of theme using genetic genealogy profiling using DNA evidence...trouble is get hooked on his books!
 Game of scrabble which I won ... just so now in the lead... yes!!
Dinner was chilli with jacket potato and peas... Friday night so glass of wine first one since last Sunday....😇
Watched some tv... Netflix...
Early bed as tired and need to be up reasonably early as delivery from Waitrose tomorrow morning.... first one and keeping 🤞 we don’t have snow that stops them getting into the village... won’t starve but it will be a pain! But glad I’ve not got to c n c it!

Hope weathers been better for others and everyone’s coping ok.... figures still high so extra vigilance still needed.
Take care all

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 21 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear you're warm and snug Gibel, that'll be a load off your mind. You'll be wearing your bikini tomorrow!  :D

Oh dear KG, I bet you wish you hadn't started. Hope it's soon sorted and not too expensive.

Caroline, hadn't realised that Nathan DG has a new book out, will eagerly await a price drop! Good to hear that there's some action being taken about the dogs, will be interested to see what happens.

It seems ages since this morning, actually yesterday morning as I write this. This was my day:

Couldn't get to sleep last night, too much stress from early in the day. Had a rude awakening by next door's dog going ballistic, the window cleaner was here again. Chucked on joggers and sweatshirt, opened up access to the back, made a cup of tea and took it back to bed to read for a while. It was freezing cold but sunny out, there was a really hard frost and the pavements looked icy. Didn't get out for a walk and didn't do any Pilates today. Was hoping for a pleasant day after the stress I'd been put under in the previous two.

Bread supply was very low so baked the part baked baguettes I had in the cupboard and made a tuna sandwich, put the rest of the bread in the freezer as it's not particularly nice the next day. Spent quite a while changing my Tesco order for tomorrow, I need quite a few things.

Art class Zoom lesson started at 1.30, I thought we'd be doing some drawing today but the teacher was talking us through perspective. It's something that doesn't come easily to me, in fact all the lines and vanishing points make me feel quite agitated. She went through our reference photos and advised us, mine was of Valencia. I'd been joking that I should have used one of my photos of the Uffizzi but by the time she'd finished I wished I had, at least it's only two point perspective. She has every confidence in me, I wish I felt the same. The class massively overran, it was 5pm by the time it finished. If I'd known we were not going to do any drawing I would have sat in the lounge instead of at the kitchen table.

Went out to get something from the freezer for tea, just got spag bol as it would be easy. Then my friend L rang to say that she'd felt rather daunted too by all the perspective, hers is just one point perspective but lots of detail.
Shortly after that another friend phoned, although she's a close friend we're not in touch a lot as she works shifts. We were talking for nearly two hours, well past the time I'd normally have my meal but I'd rather talk to her while I have the opportunity.
Fancied a glass of wine with my meal, shock, horror, I was out of supplies. Found a mini bottle of red wine, had that. The Tesco cavalry will be coming tomorrow! Really feel like a couple of drinks after this week.

Watched some TV, felt too late to be running a bath after so just had a shower. Haven't read a lot of the news today, that's probably a good thing.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I have read all the contributions so far....
Great news your boiler issue is finally fixed Gibel... I believe we are in for another cold spell, so not a moment before time!
I think all the exercise involved in decorating will keep you warm KG.... though you might not have to be continually climbing up and down ladders so it might be less hassle for you perhaps?
What a lot of workmen Caroline, and so much cleaning going on.  Good thing you have gone over to having your major groceries delivered I think, times are really very bad.  (Not that we are doing it yet.)
Yesterday we woke to the news that eldest step-son & fiance had been allowed to enter the boarding lounge for Perth at Heathrow, after a second testing in a matter of days. Only another 3 sets of testing to go.  As experienced travellers they aver it is far harder to get out of the UK than it is to get in.
I made an early bread raid, and went into Lidl briefly where only 1 out of 6 self checkouts was in use, so I was out of there at speed thankfully.  Very few pedestrians but manic traffic everywhere.
Went for a walk along the seafront after a restorative coffee, and noted a large group of maybe 15 people that we thought might be "foreign language" students with guides.  Most odd to observe them all in a bunch flagrantly wandering along. I certainly would not be allowing any child of mine to visit the Uk at present!!
For LM: 5 ships in the Bay. Also, still 3 more other side of Start Point off Babbacombe, so probably visible from Teignmouth. 
After lunch watched the Inde SAGE report, they are all deeply unhappy having to repeat recommendations every week while the mess continues, though there might be minor signs of infections slowing a little.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.