Author Topic: Help in Using DNA To Find Father  (Read 1470 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help in Using DNA To Find Father
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I have asked the moderator to merge this with your other thread for continuity

Moderator Comment: Topic now merged
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
A few questions - do these three match each other, and do any of them have a tree? Also, on their profile page, do they give an age? Are these their own kits or managed by someone else?

DNA Painter suggests these could be much closer than 3rd cousins.
https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Flemming. To answer your questions
How would I be able to tell if these three people match each other?
Person A just states +21 and Person B +60 I have no indication of age for person C.
Person A has a small tree of 37 people, Person B a large tree of 570, and person C no tree. All three kits are managed by themselves.
Kennedy, Bell, Crumley, Job, Reilly, Convery, McConville & Crowley

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:13 GMT (UK) »
The CM figures you have for your wife are relatively low so trying to find the common ancestor will be quite challenging especially with the history being in Ireland. Ideally you need to have more connections at higher CM levels.

Also uploading on to Myheritage.com will be worth doing as well as you can load Ancestry DNA to there but not the other way round so you will probably get some extra matches.

Personally I have some matches in the 80 to 140cm ranges and the common ancestor for those matches is coming up at GGG grandparents to GG grandparents.

As suggested by Flemming looking at the people who she is matched with may help if they already have trees as that might give a point towards geography.

At some point it may be worth taking a subscription / paying a fee to see some of the data she is matched with, for example on MyHeritage you can see common matches with an individual which can sometime point you in a specific direction.

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »

On MyHeritage it's a feature you have if you have a subscription and maybe if you pay the one off fee as well.

Person A just states +21

Person A would possibly be a good pointer if you can look at their tree and create a tree from their grandparents up two or three levels and then back down including siblings. Perhaps message them and ask if they can share any names / dates etc and let them know what you are trying to achieve.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:38 GMT (UK) »

From the main list of matches, click on one of them, then open the tab 'Shared Matches' in the bar above their tree (there are three tabs 'Trees', 'Ethnicity' then 'Shared Matches').

Once you've opened the Shared Matches tab, you should get a list of further matches that you both share.

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Flemming
I have looked at the shared matches. Person A shows no shared matches with Persons B & C Persons B & C show 2 shared matches as well as showing a match to each other. I'll call them Persons D & E
Person D has 26cm across 1 segment & Person E 24cm across 1 segment. Person D has no tree & Person E has a tree containing 400 people.

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your points Seesure. I suspect Person A might not be as promising as you suggest giving my last comment. I will have a look at MyHeritage thanks.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Flemming
I have looked at the shared matches. Person A shows no shared matches with Persons B & C Persons B & C show 2 shared matches as well as showing a match to each other. I'll call them Persons D & E
Person D has 26cm across 1 segment & Person E 24cm across 1 segment. Person D has no tree & Person E has a tree containing 400 people.

That’s interesting.  The fact A doesn’t share >20cM (Ancestry’s cut-off for showing shared matches) with B and C could indicate that A is from a completely different line.

For example, A could be connected through your wife’s father’s father; and B and C through your wife’s father’s mother.

Sticking with B, C, D and E for now, given B has a tree of 570 and E has a tree of 400, can you see any common names between the two? Or any common places?

One other thought - ‘A’ being only in their 20s with >100cM match possibly means their parent would be a higher/closer match with your wife.