Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: What about earlier censuses?  (Read 33459 times)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
1901 Leftovers: What about earlier censuses?
« on: Saturday 27 August 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
I don't know about everyone else, but I've gots tons of downloads from previous censuses as well as from 1901 - what would be the possibility of transcribing those as well? What does anyone else think?

Veron  :D
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What about earlier censuses?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Veron
I have a lot of 'leftovers' from other census records, its okay for us to think about transcribing them, but it would mean a new site for each year and some one would have to be willing to set these up wouldn't they?
A lot of work, you willing???????
Ha ha
Seriously though it is a great idea and I'm all for it, I think we need all the freebies we can get in this hobby, don't know about you, but I think its pretty darn expensive just to find info about our ancestors, which morally, I think, is ours by right!
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I posted because I've been transcribing the 1901 ones, and when I asked Berlin-Bob the same question, he suggested putting it on the board and seeing what happened.

So maybe he might be willing to set up the right databases?!? Or know someone who can?!? Because my expertise isn't up to that...  ??? ???

Seriously though, I agree with you, it seems a great pity that all this information is sitting with different people, rather than being available to everyone.

Cheers Vero :Dn
Currently researching:
HORTON (Birmingham)
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 05 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
We will just have to keep our fingers crossed and keep working on Berlin Bob, because like you, I'm not quite up to it either, wish I was cos I'd give it a go.........
There must be near on whole censuses between all the pc's on rootschat, just think what we could do if we all pulled together
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
What a good idea :D

I, too, have several pages of the earlier censuses and would be more than happy to transcribe them for Rootschat.

Bob - I hope you are reading this!!!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
What about transcribing what you have and sending it to FreeCEN - or get in touch with them first to ask which districts need doing.

Its pointless transcribing districts which have already been done and are on-line for free already.

There is still a lot to be done:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/na.mckenzie/flintshire.html

I'm sure there are other sites for England or the individual counties.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 October 05 21:44 BST (UK) »
It seems from your link that they want whole pieces doing.  I don't mind finishing off a page where my ancestors (as in 1901 leftovers) are but don't have the time to do a whole piece. Pity they are so restrictive.  I imagine many people are like me.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 05 13:52 GMT (UK) »
What about earlier censuses?

In principle, I have nothing against this idea. 

It still needs a bit of thinking about, though
Technically it's easy enough, I just need to add the census year for each entry in the database, but ...

- Is the information the same in all census years (1841 could just have Y/N for "where born"), but what about the pi//fo//pa - is this the same format ??

- Scottish census: do they "fit" into this scheme or is it a different classification system ??

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 November 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
What about earlier censuses?

- Is the information the same in all census years (1841 could just have Y/N for "where born"), but what about the pi//fo//pa - is this the same format ??

Hi Bob

Only 1891 and 1901 have the administrative county at the top of every page - 1851-1881 start with the parish name.

The other things look exactly the same to me for all the censuses except 1841, which doesn't have the "where born" or the relationship, and the Piece number looks to have two sections - in the one I'm currently looking at, the reference number on the side is HO107/332/8, the folio number is 50, and the page number is 15. Also there isn't nearly as much information about the area, there are only 2 lines at the top of the page, one labelled "City or Borough of......" and the other "Parish or Township of......" - on the one I'm looking at, only one line is completed (with the parish name).

Hoping that's helpful!  :D

Veron
Currently researching:
HORTON (Birmingham)
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....