Author Topic: Looking for Mary Jane McKenna  (Read 2484 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Jane McKenna
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the death was registered in the Tynemouth District.

Her baptism appears to have been 'Latinised' -- details :

Maria Joanna McKenna
Born 20 May 1901
Baptised 17 July 1901
Father: Thomae McKenna
Mother: Sarah Tate McKenna

Source: England, Births and Christenings , 1538 - 1975

Reply #8  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 January 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry JenB, didn't see #8 at bottom of page 1

Offline Ella McMahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 21 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Jen and Allan,

Thank you both for your replies, I am spoilt for information.

Ella.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 January 21 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Remind me when things get better covid wise as I could check at the North Shields Local Studies when this reopens at some point to see if Mary Jane might have a burial in the North Shields or the Wallsend or Whitley Bay area of the Tynemouth district.  This Local Studies has the burial registers for the North Shields, Wallsend and Whitley Bay area.  As a single Mother, life would have been tough back then and it might be that Mary Jane (and Ella) might have gone into the Tynemouth Workhouse if she had no other means of support.
  If it might turn out that Mary Jane died in the Tynemouth Workhouse, her cause of death will also be available in the death registers 1896-1949 held at Tyne and Wear Archives, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Also, in such a case she would also appear in the admissions and discharge and creed registers.
http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/DServe2/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqSearch=(RefNo=%27PU.TY%27)&dsqPos=3&dsqNum=50&PF=No
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ella McMahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 00:09 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass,

Thank you for all the links that you have provided, I am so grateful for any suggestions or advice given as I don't know Northumberland at all.

Ella.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 April 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
North Shields local studies opened today so I looked for a possible burial for Mary Jane McKenna at Preston and Church Bank cemeteries.  She does not appear to be in either.  Only a Margaret Mary Mckenna (Church Bank) and Bridget Mckenna (Preston)  in 1923.  I ran out of time to search more.  When I can next go again I could try Whitley Bay.  It could be though that she might be buried at Blyth or at a Church which I can't access records for there such as St John RC Church Annitsford.
Or it might be that death occurred in the Tynemouth district but that she was buried elsewhere such as Newcastle.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ella McMahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass,

Very good of you to go to so much trouble, thank you for following through.  It's great to know that organisations are starting to open up again.  I've had to reapply for Ella's marriage certificate, due to COVID-19 post, my first attempt did not make it to Melbourne.  Hope that you have been keeping well and thank you sincerely for everything that you have done.

Ella.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 May 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ella,

You are welcome - I wish you every success with this as I have no doubt many others will do. :)

Just another update.  I have looked again for Ella during the week but have not been able to find her in the Tynemouth registration district (albeit I have no access to other places such as St John RC Church Annitsford or Blyth Cemetery) at the North Shields local studies.  I must tell you that the wonderful staff at the North Shields local studies even helped out with this one by looking at through the huge burial tomes for me when I had ran out of my own time allotment.

What I am wondering now is if Ella might have died in the Tynemouth district  but was perhaps buried elsewhere such as the Newcastle district where she had lived earlier in life?  Possibly she might have been there in the Tynemouth area at the workhouse or at an infectious disease hospital, for instance?  Perhaps she was buried near where her family lived or where other family members tended to be buried. 
Perhaps we need to find out where others in the family, such as her parents might have been buried. 
I am wondering if Ella might have been buried at Elswick for instance?  Unfortunately, FamilySearch don't have records available to view online for that time for Elswick.
I have heard from someone else that although Newcastle local studies is not open they are willing to do short look ups for free at the moment.  Perhaps worth checking out?
Just a few speculations/ideas to consider. :)

Offline Ella McMahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Dear River Tyne Lass,

Thank you so much for all the time and hard work that you have put into this reply and for going "above and beyond" and please pass on my thanks also to the wonderful staff members at the North Shields local studies.  That type of help really restores your faith in people.

So, I have not yet received the marriage certificate, however I am now on a first name basis with our postie.   

Mary Jane's death has been confirmed as being the registration mentioned by AllanUK and JenB in reply 15 and 16.

I will definitely contact North Shields local studies now.

Hope that your all keeping well and that things are returning to normal, whatever normal is.  Thanks so much for everything.

Ella.