Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 21st January  (Read 812 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 21st January
« on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Last night's snow had gone when I got up this morning, a sunny day but freezing cold. The temperature was about 5 degrees but the wind chill factor brought it down significantly. Took the groceries out of quarantine in the garage and put them away. Tried on the hoodies I'd had delivered on Monday, they're lovely -  soft, comfy and warm, just right for this time of year.

After lunch I transferred my drawing onto watercolour paper ready for art class tomorrow, we're scheduled to start painting. Hope I don't muck it up after all the work I've put into it. Even the transferring of the drawing is demanding, I've found it all quite tiring. Sounds daft to say that about something like drawing but it's the concentration needed that makes it wearing.

Was disgusted to read in the local news about an older lady who was in her front garden and was offered a private vaccination for £100 by a woman wearing a plastic pinafore. Luckily she wasn't taken in. And even worse, a 92 year old was robbed by a man and woman who convinced her they were from the NHS and had come to give her the vaccination. I have no words to express how I feel about such people.

Had arranged to meet my friend J at 5pm our weekly walk. We were meeting about fifteen minutes earlier than usual but I was still pleasantly surprised at how light it still was. Darkness fell as we were walking. I wore a mask again, it's better for my breathing when it's so cold. We were talking about all the flooding of the main roads surrounding the town and diversions that took people miles out of their way. Even around here we could see where pools of water were still standing in the gutters and in people's gardens. The cliffs a few miles away have been crumbling into the sea after the storm, no doubt typical of what will have happened in many places.

I enjoyed getting out for a walk with my friend, it keeps me going. Usual evening, watched the programme about the three Chasers, quite entertaining.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 21st January
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb- good to hear you got out with your friend J for a walk... it’s lovely to see the lighter nights when it’s not dull and cloudy!
What a despicable thing to do to an elderly person... have these people no shame... the answer is no they don’t... glad to hear the first person wasn’t taken in by them...
Will keep fingers crossed for your painting tomorrow.... sure it will be fine 😀

Bright crisp morning when I got up but only 4C on weather station so a good deal colder than yesterday....
🎉🎉🎉 OH got a text to book his vaccination.... on Saturday.... wonderful after wondering when it would be arriving... set us up for the day... two of our friends both went today Shame we can’t get together to celebrate...
Had a message from the dog warden to say he wasn’t able to sort out the zoom and technology challenged!
After breakfast OH had to sit down and go through the statements we’d written as DW wanted specifics like time of day, length of time, weather.. etc etc... took us most of the morning to get that sorted and sent to him...
Groceries delivered late morning... all good phoned me later and asked if ok and I paid over the phone...
Phoned butchers... yes they can deliver need to order £50 worth.... so will get together with friends... having just ordered some from a place in Scotland recommended to us don’t need any more yet...
Phoned the library to see if they’d got a copy of Jamaica Inn.... sadly not... can get audio from BorrowBox but not until late Feb when our book club meeting will be over... not keen to have to buy it so bit of a dilemma.... put request on village Nextdoor site but no one has a copy...
After lunch gave both bathrooms a clean so that’s whole house done now....
Sorted out the birthday cards I needed... luckily had some suitable ones in my stash... watched the Natural History Museum programme whilst doing cards... boys would love it must tell my daughter..
Friend dropped off some shopping bits had a natter for few minutes... she said shops much more strict with numbers shopping and wearing f. coverings...
Had game of scrabble.... I won... back to level... bit like a yo-yo all these games at the moment...
When I went to close the curtains the sky was the most beautiful colours... pinks, pale blues and purple... tried to take a photo but didn’t do it justice and trees obscuring it too much.... not seen sky that colour for a long time...
Dinner was venison meatballs in pesto sauce with rice, roasted vegs and broccoli...
Watched usual tv.... film on Netflix ....
Another busy day! Thankful for them really...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - shocking to hear about the flooding over your way.  Flooding is the cause of so much destruction.
Caroline - sounds like you had enough things to do to fill up your day.  Never thought I would see the day when ordinary tasks took on a special purpose!
I’ve had two nights in a row with less than 6 hours each, which is not enough for me.  Last night my leg was okay, thankfully. 
Yesterday I received my PDF certificate order from the UK (do they still come from Southport?), took just about 72 hours, a record!  There is still one to come, and one by mail, which might be weeks.  For some reason, an inner voice was telling me to order a certain person’s death certificate from 1947, not someone I would normally order, but I did.  Turns out the informant was a daughter I never knew about.  When registered her surname was a spelling variant, and she did not live with her father in 1891 and in 1901 she was in service, and then got married.  So now I can fill in all the blanks, turns out she had seven children.
I recorded an American genealogy programme a couple of days ago called Finding Your Roots and watched a bit of it this afternoon. One of the subjects was actress Glenn Close and I got a memory jolt when they began talking about her belonging to a quasi-religious singing ensemble in the late 60’s. They toured all over NA and came to my hometown in Quebec where she was billeted at a friend’s house.  I met her, she would have been about 22 at the time, I was in my teens.  Of course, I had no idea that she was going to be an international star one day, and forgot all about it until my friends’ mother told me in the mid-1980s me that the “Glennie” that had stayed with them was Glenn Close.
Her family history looks interesting, will watch the rest tomorrow!
Went for a walk in our local park with OH this morning.  It was a brisk -6C with windchill, but lots of people walking and it was sunny too.  OH went off for a longer walk and I waited in the car.  We were in part of the park I had never been in before, it is 300 acres, so lots to explore.  There are limited areas where cars can go, so that is nice.
Otherwise, set up a new jigsaw, read my book, and puttered around.  We just watched a half hour of Antiques Roadshow on BritBox, not sure if they are most current.  They were at Ightham Mote in Kent.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 21 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Caroline - just a thought re. Jamaica Inn.   Have you tried Abebooks (a site I use a lot)?   Looked on the site and saw 2 secondhand ones - £2.33 or £2.35 - with free delivery.   They usually arrive within a few days so might be worth considering in this particular instance (you could quarantine it in your garage for a couple of days before reading).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Caroline - just a thought re. Jamaica Inn.   Have you tried Abebooks (a site I use a lot)?   Looked on the site and saw 2 secondhand ones - £2.33 or £2.35 - with free delivery.   They usually arrive within a few days so might be worth considering in this particular instance (you could quarantine it in your garage for a couple of days before reading).

Annette

Wonderful, thanks for the tip all ordered and hopefully on its way.... cheapest to be found and free delivery is great... much appreciated.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Woke up to a lovely clear calm day though everything was still sodden wet.
Met a friend I hadn't seen since last summer for a brief walk along the sea front while her other half was in the supermarket. (4 ships in the Bay.)
When I returned the bank had sent a letter, so I after lunch I rushed down the back streets to get that sorted, but I found a notice on the closed front door headed: "serving you" and explaining that hours have been cut to weekdays only and even more than before. So I retraced my steps, predictably encountering no-one.
I love it that everyone is so helpful and supportive on here, (good one Annette,) and I can't comprehend how people can be so awful, trying to con folks into all sorts of scams.... but just what are the unwary people have injected into their bodies? .... Doesn't bear thinking about!
Good luck with the art work Roobarb, nice to know Diana was able to get out for a walk, enjoy Jamaica Inn, Caroline..... why was that a sudden necessity?
Hoping everyone has a reasonably fulfilling day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
E-bay and Magpie are good places to look for books too. ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 21 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe  the stupidity  of some people  , a school in London had  been hired for a huge party, windows blacked out but they were raided by the police, doesn't sound like youngsters, I hope they fine all of them the maximum amount they can,  absolutely  selfish in my opinion and there are we all doing
 the right things to try to bring it to some sort of end and normal living and idiots have to go to these extremes, they must have known they were doing the wrong thing by blacking out the windows

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 January 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, good news about your OH's jab. I hope the dog warden gets things sorted out after all the work you've put into it. Good to hear that the shops are taking a harder line with safety measures.

Diana, what a favour your inner voice has done you in telling you to order the certificate, what a satisfying result. I'm very impressed that you met Glenn Close before she was famous!

Annette, many thanks for the pointer to Abebooks. I'd looked on Amazon at Jamaica Inn when Caroline mentioned it and was horrified at the price, I'd expected it to be one of the classics that you can pick up for next to nothing. Looks like great prices on Abebooks. Thanks also MH, I looked for Magpie, looks like it's MusicMagpie. I'd never heard of either of these, there'll be no stopping me now!  :D

MH, perhaps the bank should alter their notice to read 'Not serving you'! Very frustrating but to be expected I suppose. Pleased to hear you got out for a walk in decent weather.

LM, I've no doubt those people knew they were doing wrong but the awful fact is that they just don't care. It makes me wonder how any of these people would feel if their loved ones caught Covid and were seriously ill or died. There have been so many stories in the press about selfishness and stupidity. I read the other day about a man on Anglesey who had taken his two young daughters for a walk along the beach and were cut off by the tide, of course they had to be rescued. It's so simple to check the tide times these days, you just download the app and look at it before you venture along the beach. The report also implied that he shouldn't have been there in the lockdown anyway.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales