Author Topic: Wrong ages and profession deliberately given on embarkation for Australia Why?  (Read 898 times)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong ages and profession deliberately given on embarkation for Australia Why?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 21 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
Thanks for the reply.
No I don't have his death certificate - but yes, that will give a good indication. I'll chase it.
I have a couple of references relating to the Boot trade and to factories of the time that refer to William arriving in 1875, but these aren't particularly useful - may even have got their information from the "Victoria and Its Metropolis" volume. I suspect his arrival couldn't have been much later than this based on the amazing growth of his boot manufacturing business - at a time where there was plenty f competition.  I suspect he made some very fortunate alliances early with a couple of capable people (whom I'm also researching).

Thanks again.

Dave

The death certificate of your William YATES will give the length of time in the Australian Colonies as part of the information asked for in completing it.

Do you have this document?

Is there a source you have that gives the year of the arrival of the couple?
Other than the Great Britain manifest.
Can you describe them?

Sue
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong ages and profession deliberately given on embarkation for Australia Why?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 January 21 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Death certificate confirms his age, years in Australia, his wife's name and maiden name of his mother - and that there were no children.  All fits, thanks.
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)