Author Topic: Revered David Rees died 8 Jan 1885 Obituary  (Read 1169 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Revered David Rees died 8 Jan 1885 Obituary
« on: Friday 22 January 21 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Hoping someone with a subscription to newspaper archives and/or better skills than me can help. I am looking for an obituary to the Reverend David Rees who died 08 Jan 1885 Toorah, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia. David was born 1804-1806 Llanelly, lived in Braintree before emigrating with his family to Australia in 1859. I am guessing there will be an obituary in Australian newspapers, though there could be one in British ones as well as his will was proven in in the UK by his son David Curtis Rees of Brighton, Barrister of the City of London. I am hoping the obituary might include details of his early life and confirm his siblings. A brother of David’s is definitely Cornelius Rees (1808-1877) of Ystradfai, Llanelly as David is specifically mentioned in his obituary.

Thank you

Roy

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Revered David Rees died 8 Jan 1885 Obituary
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Was he a Church of England minister or Non Conformist.?
If CofE you could find him in the relevant “Crockford’s” a register of all C ofE
ministers ,it might give family background etc  up to his emigration.
Best of luck.
Viktoria.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Trove is the online Australian source for newspapers....

REES.—On the 8th inst., at his residence, St. John's-road, Toorak, Rev. David Rees, Baptist minister,
aged 80 years.

THE Friends of the late Rev. DAVID REES are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the
place of interment, St. Kilda Cemetery.
The funeral is appointed to leave his late residence, Rawden-cottage, St. John's road, off Malvern-
road, Toorak, THIS DAY (Friday, 9th inst.), at 4 o'clock p.m.
JOHN ROMANIS, undertaker, 64 Toorak-road, South Yarra.

both from The Argus, Melbourne 9th Jan 1885; the death notie is repeated verbatim in some other newspapers.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/220545627?searchTerm=david%20rees carries an obituary - Weekly Times, Melbourne, 10th Jan, page 7, which reads:

The Rev. David Rees, Baptist minister, died at his residence, St. John's road, Toorak, on Thursday. The late reverend I gentleman was born in the parish of Llanelly, Carmarthenshire, South Wales, in 1804, and had consequently attained the I ripe age of eighty years. He was last settled in England at Braintree, Essex, where he laboured with much earnestness and zeal.
In 1859 he landed in this colony, and after a snort lime spent in Geelong, undertook the pastorate of the South Yarra Baptist Church. An affection of. the throat compelled him to resign this charge in 1869, and to recruit his health he took a trip to England, accompanied by his son, the late Dr. W. G. Rees, of South Yarra. On returning to the colony, he constantly engaged in preaching, but he never took the pastorate of any church again except once for a few months only. He was a man of high intellectual attainments and an enthusiast in nearly all branches of natural science, more especially astronomy, on which he frequently lectured.
To him mainly the Baptist Association owes its origin. In 1879 he took another trip to England, and since his return in 1881 he has been gradually growing more and more infirm, until he finally succumbed on Thursday afternoon.

You might try Welsh Newspapers website, but hunting for a David Rees will be a challenge!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the obituary that's excellent. Hasn't got the info I hoped for but it was definitely worth a try. As you say I will try the Welsh newspapers, but as you say it could be a needle in a haystack job

Offline MarysInMyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this too:
https://sites.google.com/view/australian-dictionary-of-evang/q-r/rees-david-1804-1885
REES, DAVID (b. Gelliddraenog, Wales, 1804; d. Toorak, Vic, 9 Jan 1885). Exponent of Baptist unity.
Son of devout Baptist parents (his father a deacon for 30 years)
Might help find his father's name?
Cumberland: Corson, Eilbeck, Frear(s), Gunson, Jackson, Jardin(e), Jordan, Lawson, Lowery, Noble, Sim(m), Smallwood, Tyson, Williamson, Wilson
Kent: Anscomb(e), Fisher, Watts
Devon: Moule
Glamorganshire: Evans, James, Lloyd, Moule, Rees
Lancashire/Merseyside: Birchall, Campbell, Chesworth, Disley, Fisher, Howard, Price

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this too:
https://sites.google.com/view/australian-dictionary-of-evang/q-r/rees-david-1804-1885
REES, DAVID (b. Gelliddraenog, Wales, 1804; d. Toorak, Vic, 9 Jan 1885). Exponent of Baptist unity.
Son of devout Baptist parents (his father a deacon for 30 years)
Might help find his father's name?

Excellent again. Thank you

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Roy,

I do believe that everything, and perhaps more, that you are seeking is contained within an extensive tribute to David Rees on page 3 of the Seren Cymru issue of 27th March 1885.

You can find this by searching on Welsh Newspapers Online via "south-yarra" and then isolating the year of 1885.

As you will find, it is in cymraeg and I would like to help further but I have not spoken the language since I left Wales at the age of 4.

Willyam

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Roy,

I do believe that everything, and perhaps more, that you are seeking is contained within an extensive tribute to David Rees on page 3 of the Seren Cymru issue of 27th March 1885.

You can find this by searching on Welsh Newspapers Online via "south-yarra" and then isolating the year of 1885.

As you will find, it is in cymraeg and I would like to help further but I have not spoken the language since I left Wales at the age of 4.

Willyam

Excellent find, exactly the sort of thing I was after (https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3205431/3205434/13/). Google translate has made a reasonable stab of translating this. In the obituary are mentioned "and there are no widows but three — formerly Mrs Rees of Soho, formerly Mr Rees of Ystradfai, and Mr W. Thomas of Trefena". The two Mr should be Mrs. The first 2 I already have supporting evidence for. I have not come across Mrs W. Thomas of Trefena. Has anyone come across her?

I am guessing she is either David's sisters Hannah, Mary or Elizabeth. I am reasonably confident we can discount Mary as others suggest she married a Jeremiah Griffiths and as a Cornelius Griffiths wrote the obituary, it is probably their so Rev. Cornelius Griffiths (1829-1905) who wrote the obituary. David's sisters Hannah and Elizabeth were older than him and David was born around 1805

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Roy,

Willyam

Excellent find, exactly the sort of thing I was after (https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3205431/3205434/13/). Google translate has made a reasonable stab of translating this. In the obituary are mentioned "and there are no widows but three — formerly Mrs Rees of Soho, formerly Mr Rees of Ystradfai, and Mr W. Thomas of Trefena". The two Mr should be Mrs. The first 2 I already have supporting evidence for. I have not come across Mrs W. Thomas of Trefena. Has anyone come across her?

I am guessing she is either David's sisters Hannah, Mary or Elizabeth. I am reasonably confident we can discount Mary as others suggest she married a Jeremiah Griffiths and as a Cornelius Griffiths wrote the obituary, it is probably their son Rev. Cornelius Griffiths (1829-1905) who wrote the obituary. David's sisters Hannah and Elizabeth were older than him and David was born around 1805