Author Topic: Diary > Friday 22nd January  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 22nd January
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 January 21 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh, yes, the I,T.A.
Initial Teaching Alphabet, that had a lot to answer for.

Up early today, for me nowadays.
Well 8 O’Clockish.

More tidying of papers, they were and are all in their own folders and in date order but some already shredded ,those a few years old.
However,out of the blue came  a demand from the Belgian Pension Authority for tax returns and proof of income for some years past.
Don’t know if it is to do with Brexit ,but neither my O.H. or I have had to do this before .The pension is based on contributions made whilst we lived in Belgium ,obligatory and in any case a reciprocal agreement was in place between the two countries long before we joined T he Common Market.
Not heard back from them about that yet.
I am reluctant to put all documents needed back in their respective folders if they should be needed again.
Oh —- tomorrow is another day !

More snow here , and very cold.I have washing in and will see re hanging it on the line, they will be white from reflected glare.It will depend if the path is slippy.
In Belgium housewives use frost as a sanitiser of sorts.
Babies ‘nappies washed through,laid out on the grass in the frost then washed again and on the line to be frozen and they were snow white and so soft.
We are used to the old tradition of Monday washday, but there they do a huge wash once a month ,but a young bride has ten sets of sheets when she marries.
We were lucky to have three sets !
They buy in tens, decimal system you see.
I can’t stand washing waiting to be done.
I love hanging out “ pegging out “ hereabouts.

I am having a cold beef butty for my lunch then the rest will be minced for cottage pie or some such thing.

Must add a few things to my Tesco order for Wednesday.

So nice to speak with Flash Harry yesterday.
Tiny little voice ,he is missing his friend  and  told me of an incident where his previous friend would not share the play dough ,” and spoilt it for everyone”.
That was Bartholomew ,who FH ,( because Bartholomew was such a big word
and he could not say it all ) called  something like Bottomly !
Not knowing it was a bit rude!
Well off to do something useful ,so Cheerio.
Viktoria.
Hope you are all well , and not too bored .

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 January 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Apologies Viktoria, I was forgetting that you would know about the teaching methods of that time and of course the effects of them.

What an interesting tale about the Belgians and their washing, I wouldn't have room to store nine lots of dirty sheets! Be careful if you decide to 'peg out '!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
No need for apologies, but Thankyou anyway.

Yes it was a flash the pan thing and many children coped and some didn’t.
I still think just repetition is good, and games where cards with the names of everyday objects on them, and a game played matching words to objects —
a little success goes such a long way.
 It does not matter if the words are not in the set reading scheme ,to match “b e d” “ to a bed (picture on the back so no upset ) is really something and over time no picture will be needed .
It is fun and no stress ,it is a game!

“ Play is a child’s best endeavour “ our College Motto, they put the most effort into playing so learning through play is essential.

What a glorious day, the air is like champagne ,big towels etc dancing on the line ,snow melting and I might do a perambulation of the cemetery where the sun has shone on the path as the snow will have melted there too.

I know, all that washing ,but they have the storage for it ,well the ladies I knew did ,they thought I was mad doing it all at home every Monday.
Oh my twin tub Hoover ,you could rinse in the spin dryer with the hose.
And boil even I seem to remember.

Well two O’Clock and the shadows will be falling soon so teeth cleaned  ( or they would fall out —- three babies and Hyperemesis!) all togged up and my ice walking stick, all I need is a dog.
See you later , cheerio for now,Viktoria.