Author Topic: William Emanuel BROOKS Hull/York - COMPLETED  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Emanuel BROOKS Hull/York - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 27 August 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'd be grateful for any help or advice with my brickwall, please.

I am trying to trace the birth (and confirmation of parents) of William Emanuel Brooks and have the following information.

1871  Census  William E Brooks 1845 born Hull
1881  Census  William E Brooks 1846 born Kingston upon Hull
1891 Census   William E Brooks 1846 born Hull
1901 Census Emanuel Brooks 1845 born Hull

In 1861 there is an Emanuel Brooks born 1846 Kingston upon Hull living with a William Brooks (b 1816 York - a Hawker of some description) and Mary Brooks (b 1811 Northamptonshire).  I cannot find a William E Brooks

At the moment I make the assumption that the 1861 entry is one of the same person for the other years.  His death certificate (1903) gives his name as William Emanuel Brooks age 58.  His marriage certificate in 1864 gives him as William Emanuel age as 21 - making him  born in 1843??? (His wife was age 24  Father is given as William Brooks - Moulder)

I have trawled the GRO Birth Index between 1843 and 1846 and cannot find an entry for Hull.    I am beginning to wonder if he was registered in his mother's maiden name. 

His marriage certificate gives his occupation in 1864 as Policeman (living in York).  Does anyone know if there are any police personel records that far back and where would they be archived? 

Any suggestions gratefully received.  Thanks

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Emanuel BROOKS Hull/York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Freebmd has a birth entry in September 1/4 1842
Emanuel Brooks,    Sculcoates 22. 491.

You will also find the same person on http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi   where you can print the order form off and get the cert from the Hull office, usually by return of post.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee

Thanks for this.  I have "trawled"  both Free and Yorkshire BDM and saw that particular entry. This fits closer with age on  marriage certificate.  I'll send for the certificate and see what names turns-up.

Once again, thanks.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 01:04 BST (UK) »
It seems to be a common thing in my family for people to be known by their middle names, making it difficult to trace them when you don't know their first name.

happy hunting

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Emanuel BROOKS Hull/York - COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Goughy,

I think we my have a conection,see my request, Re Brooks in York.
My conection is via one of William Emanuel Brooks daughters,(Jessie who married my grand-uncle Leonard Gamble in York). I would be pleased to hear from you.

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"