Author Topic: How can I identify someone in a photograph?  (Read 770 times)

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I identify someone in a photograph?
« on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to identify who the man seen sitting with my great-great grandmother in this photograph is. I'm fairly certain this photograph was taken in the early 1920s (she was born in 1896).

She was married three times, but I don't have photographs of any of her husbands (none of them were my great-great grandfather). The man is almost certainly not her last husband, as she didn't marry him until the 1960s, but she was married to husband number 1 and having an affair with husband number 2 in the early/ mid 1920s, so it could be either of them. Of course, its equally likely that this man could just be a casual acquaintance!

Can anyone give me any advice?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I identify someone in a photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
She is holding onto the ring on her 'ring' finger. Not that I know what that signifies.

She is showing it off because just married?
She is feeling guilty?

Is the headgear significant?

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:42 GMT (UK) »
She is holding onto the ring on her 'ring' finger. Not that I know what that signifies.

She is feeling guilty?

I never noticed the ring thing before! How funny. And yes, that could mean a number of things.

I believe that the photo was taken at a party, but I don't know anything about the hats or what they mean.

Do you think that if I gave the names of her husbands (both deceased, of course), that people may be able to find photographs of them?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
worth a try. you never know!

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »

That was my thought McKha, just married, and I thought the hat wear might have been a custom at certain weddings, but that thought has gone out the window, as 1931census has thought it could be a party.  If it was a party, could it be an after wedding party?

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
It's a 1920s image and she is displaying a wedding which usually indicates a marriage, If you posted their names, there is a change that there maybe a photo on Ancestry trees if there is a match.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »
It's a 1920s image and she is displaying a wedding which usually indicates a marriage, If you posted their names, there is a change that there maybe a photo on Ancestry trees if there is a match.
Carol

My great great grandma was Maria Sarah 'Marie' Golding (1896 - 1981), her first husband was Philip Wilkinson (1893 - 1954) and her second husband was Guy Ronald Scott Tebbitt (1883 - 1968). All of these people lived in London or its surrounding areas. I haven't been able to find any photographs on ancestry.

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
worth a try. you never know!

My great great grandma was Maria Sarah 'Marie' Golding (1896 - 1981), her first husband was Philip Wilkinson (1893 - 1954) and her second husband was Guy Ronald Scott Tebbitt (1883 - 1968). All of these people lived in London or its surrounding areas.

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
As Marie's wedding to Philip Wilkinson took place on 11th August 1921 in Frinsbury Park and the dress and shoes she is wearing are indicative of this period, it could well be Philip Wilkinson in the photo with her.