Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 23rd January  (Read 560 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Saturday 23rd January
« on: Saturday 23 January 21 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thought I’d get in quick.... maybe...

Today was D day or vaccination day should I be exact!...
Weather was chilly, dull and cloudy...
After a late breakfast O.H got organised to go and have his jab...
In the mean time I had a chat with a friend I’ve not spoken to for a while...
it rained, hailed, snowed then the sun came out! Wired weather...
OH returned... very impressed with the organised at the centre he went to. Lots of volunteers and all very helpful... in out in about 25 minutes including waiting time...
After lunch I spent the afternoon doing more research... quite got the bug back now!... more on maternal grandmothers side....
dinner was sausages from our delivery yesterday... they were very meaty but crumbly and not dense and a good flavour...
We watched The White Tiger in Netflix...
A couple of glasses of wine and a sloe gin from 2017 made by a friend and now to have a good nights sleep...
Hope the day has been ok for others too...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 23rd January
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 21 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes you got there well before me Caroline.  :)
Good news that your OH got his jab so quickly and efficiently. Hope he didn't get caught in the bad weather, you've certainly had the lot. Despite not being a gin drinker I like the sound of your friend!

My day:

Was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning, nothing particular, just thinking of how it's the same routine every day. Wasn't in a hurry to do anything, the forecast was fine all day so there was no rush to beat the weather. It was a lovely day again, there had been a really hard frost and it was still on the rooves and pavements. Washed my hair when the house was nice and warm, can't stand getting out of the shower with wet hair and shivering. A friend phoned, I was pleased to hear from her and felt much more cheerful after our chat.

Went for a walk later, it was freezing again but lovely in the sunshine. Bumped into the couple I know again, same place as the last couple of times. Her parents were with them, they couldn't stop to chat as it was too cold for her parents to stand around. I went into the woods and back the same way. My finger ends were numb when I got home despite my thick gloves.
While I still had my coat on I went into the garden and tied in some more of the clematis and ivy so I can make sure where it's going to some extent. There was a small gap in the plant membrane I'd put behind it all, highly unlikely that the wind blew it there at eye level. Covered the gap over.

I was going to do some of my painting, I needed to check the recording of yesterday's class to refresh my memory about what the teacher had advised. When I looked she'd sent the video of the morning class by mistake. I emailed to let her know, I emphasised that there was no hurry. Instead I decided to put away the art things from yesterday that I didn't need and sort out my drawing pencils. I ended up sharpening all of them and some watercolour pencils I'd forgotten I had. Sorted the pencils into two boxes, soft and hard. They ones such as HB that are no use for art went with the hard ones. That's the trouble with buying them in sets, you get ones you don't need. I even have an F, can't remember what that's for. It all took up a surprising amount of time but was worthwhile. In the meantime the teacher had very kindly replied with the correct video. Played it and wrote down what I needed to,  too late to start painting today.

Salmon for tea with baked potato, peas and tomatoes. I tend to stick with the same veg with fish, there are some that I don't fancy with it. No wine tonight, was being good. A nice soak in the bath and bed. Am I allowed a shower and a bath in the same day?  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 21 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Caroline
Reading about your meat delivery coming in a polystyrene box reminded me of a craft project I did with my ‘crafty girls’ (in normal times we meet once a week for a craft session and a chat, I am missing them so much  :()
We made very realistic looking ‘stone’ troughs from them. I saw a demonstration at Gardening Scotland (Scotland’s Chelsea flower show) given by The Scottish Rock Garden Club. They are truly amazing and I had to touch it to convince myself it wasn’t a sandstone trough.
 I know you and Rhubarb are arty, creative and gardeners so thought it might inspire you and others.
First you scrape the outsides of the box with various tools to get a rough effect. I used mostly kitchen implements. I rounded the edges with a knife and scraped the sides with a paint scraper, a wire brush, spoons etc. Basically you are trying to replicate texture and break the smooth surface. I found looking  at photos of stone online was helpful. This makes a mess so best done on a hard floor as easier to sweep up.
The next bit is best done outside as it created fumes but it’s very quick. With a paint stripping hot air gun play the heat over all the cut surfaces just enough to reseal them taking care not to melt right through. Next create drainage holes in the bottom, I used a soldering iron but you can cut them and seal as before.
Lastly you paint it using different colours of masonry paint samples, sponging, stippling etc. to create a stone effect.
Then plant it up with alpines or whatever you fancy, best bit is they are so light to move.
I did one with my Mum and she entered it in her local WI annual show, ‘something new from something new’ First prize and a certificate of merit  :D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow OFG - that sounds a wonderful project to do..... might ( when allowed) give it to my daughter for the boys to try out their skills... they’re both very imaginative and they could have lots of fun with it... thanks for the ideas...
They plant up all their own veg ( boys that is) and are very competitive as to whose is growing faster than the other!
When we saw them for a day in the garden after first lockdown.... not having seen them for months the first thing they did when arriving ran straight up the garden to see what and how Grandpas vegs were doing!

Thanks for the full explanation though very useful...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Don't ignore the "harder" grades of pencil, as you put it. For fine detail work they're useful - and I'm afraid I use a 9H to "score" a faint groove on card for cfeasing / folding purposes from time to time.
An "F" grade is intended to take and keep a good fine point - I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it was ideal for shorthand purposes!!
Using only the softer grades means that you can't make fullest use of the qualities of the medium. But I'm sure you are getting a great deal out of Artwork at the present time, it's a good way of staying sane.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
OFG, thanks for the interesting explanation. I was about to say that I don't have any polystyrene boxes but will bear it in mind for the future. However, I don't have a hot air gun (or soldering iron) so unfortunately it's a non starter for me. Great to read about how you've done it though and well done on the first prize!  :)

TY, I don't seem to have explained myself properly.  :-[  I do use the H pencils for a number of things, and have a range of them. I just meant that I put them in the same box as the HB ones as I have less of them than the 2B, 3B, and 4B to 8B ones! If I had a spare box I'd put them in there.
Thanks anyway.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Probably my mistake - but I've heard other people who didn't understand the "F" grade. No worries.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)