Author Topic: Information for Alec Moncrieff Robertson  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Information for Alec Moncrieff Robertson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 April 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
I note with interest that an Alexander Moncr* Young, mother's maiden surname Moncrieff, was born in Clunie, Perthshire in 1860. The IGI suggests that he was born on 29 July 1860 and that his parents were George Young and Isabella Moncrieff.

He was with his parents and siblings at Crofts of Forneth in 1861 and at Cots, both in Clunie, in 1871. His parents and sometimes siblings remained in Clunie at various addresses until at least 1901, but I can't find Alexander after 1871. There is no listing of a marriage or death of Alexander Moncr* Young in Scotland.

What if he changed his surname to Robertson for some reason (though I can't think of any obvious reason)?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 April 23 16:21 BST (UK) »
The 1911 has 5 born, 5 living:
Jessie age 13
Alec age 11
Ada age 9
Alan age 7
Elizabeth age 5
IF they followed the naming tradition, that would make his parents Alexander and Ada and her parents Alan and Jessie.

none of the names match who I believe are her parents
Using the IGI, I don't see any births in Scotland at the right time with parents Alexander and Ada. (Ada is not a common name in Scotland.) So it looks as if there's no reason to think they followed the tradition.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mia27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 September 23 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am the granddaughter of Ada Moncrieff Robertson ( Linda Cracknell) I have been reading the comments on Alec Moncrieff Robertson and added a comment earlier in the year. I have been told that there is a chance Alec had a chemist shop in Scotland and left there having bought some trouble on the family. It has been suggested that he had other children in Scotland.  Alec is certainly making it hard work to find out anything. I have done a DNA test and nothing seems to come up there although there are many people I have not checked yet.   I am on Ancestry. and My Heritage
Kind Regards L Borg.