Author Topic: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street
« on: Sunday 24 January 21 18:17 GMT (UK) »
This Church/Chapel closed in 1963 and was demolished. Last year I found somewhere online a list of gravestone removals to Duke Cemetery, where I assume remains were reinterred. The list gave the name of the funeral director in Liverpool responsible for the exhumations. I know there is a reference to this Chapel in Lancashire Archives online catalogue (Lancat) but that is not where the list came from. I stupidly did not make a note of where I found it. I took a screenshot of the top of the page and a few names, but I really want the rest of the list. I think I assumed I’d get to the Archive. But I don’t live nearby and Covid has now put a stop to travel.
I’m hoping someone can shed light on this mystery.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 21 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Might it have been at The National Archives at Kew?
There is this item listed.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2602822

It is dated the same year as on the clipping of the paper you have.
Unfortunately not digitised, so it might not be the same document if you think you found it 'on-line'.
Might be of interest though.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 21 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Goldie.. no, not TNA.. though I did screenshot the reference there at the same time. I think that might refer to the same document but as you say, no transcription.
It’s so odd.. I would normally annotate a screenshot like that. Occasionally if it’s everywhere and easily found maybe not. But I have spent hours today looking for it.. so clearly not easily found. So annoying.. and bad practice!
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I can’t help with the document beyond suggesting it could be at Lancashire Archives, or held at Sefton Local Studies at Crosby Library or possibly at Liverpool Archives.

Find a grave has a separate section for the Memorials from Southport Congregational Church. They haven’t photographed them all yet. If you have definite people you want to find I live nearby and provided I can find the right area in the cemetery  I’m happy to walk up there on a fine day and photograph the grave stone.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
That’s weird.. I replied earlier but just noticed an error message and the post isn’t here.
Thank you, if you happen to be walking in that direction one day I would appreciate it if you have time to take a look.
I might have a few Barton ancestors there, though it’s a bit of a guess. In particular Henry Barton who died 1882 aged about 58/60, and his wife Nancy died 1873.
Jane

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I’ll see what I can do. I see that they married at Christ Church in Southport and had some children baptised at Christ Church and some at Holy Trinity Southport. Presumably they moved to the Congregational Church in their later years if they were buried there.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 21 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel
Yes, that's right, though I have not found baptisms for all the children. There is no indication of non conformism in this family. Hence my saying I am not sure they were buried in the Congregational Church. But they have to have been buried somewhere, and I cannot find a burial record in any of the burial registers for the established church.
When I came across the list of burials at the Congregational Chapel, with several Barton names, it made be wonder.. could they have embraced an NC faith? We don't know what our ancestors thought.. annoyingly!
The list unfortunately records year of removal of the grave, not age/year of burial. So the Bartons on the list could be earlier than 'my' Henry Barton.
Jane

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire OPC has
Nancy Barton buried 13 May 1873 at St Cuthbert, Churchtown.
Age 52
Abode Little London
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

They also have
Henry Barton buried 22 July 1882 at Holy Trinity.
Age 54
Abode Southport
Image on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SGQ-V6W

Age on death/burial, if the right Henry, is out a bit from the census.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
So this would fit with a possible Civil Registration death index I saved..  I thought it might be them.. I am rather shame faced that I didn’t find the burials! I think you’re right. Based on registration that is very likely.
I’ve been looking for those burials on and off for a while so thank you. Will revise my search techniques. I do use Lancs OPC but I might not have done a ‘search whole county’ which I just did, and confirmed your information.
Thanks again.. so they were not in the Congregational church.. I wonder if those  Bartons are related.? there are several in the list I found.
Jane