Author Topic: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. That would be great Yes, grey and miserable here too (Devon.) Good day for doing some family history.
Yes, you're right about FAG. I think it depends on people adding individuals and extended family them. Though some I see look as though an enthusiastic local person has gone around particular burial grounds and added images. Obviously the luck of the draw.
Jane
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes, we have to find the burials ourselves. The indexes will help, and seem to be necessary for locating the correct graves registers. I do think the indexes might be confusing in the way the years are marked out. Initially I must have looked for Sarah in the wrong year, but couldn't find her anywhere else, so went back to Duke Street and tried again.

They also have Birkdale Cemetery ( Liverpool Road), but apparently with no indexes. So we have to just click on a camera icon and jump in somewhere on the film, find the right quarter/year and trawl through in hope.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1910610

So glad you now have the missing burials! And what a kind offer from Gibel, hopefully the family grave will be located.
John

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. You have both been a great help. I must have searched FS so many times I can't count. Never have I found those registers for Duke Street. I didn't know they were online. But the Index never came up either in a Search.
My search method at FS is to put name and where appropriate dob/dod/marriage into the search box. I'm guessing that method will not bring up everything that is in the catalogue. So would I do a 'search catalogue' ? Sometimes it baffles me trying to work out what search terms will work and where to look!
Jane
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just been searching through the catalog for Southport. I didn't find an Index to Duke Street, only references to microfilm available at a FHS..
But I found an entry for the Congregational Chapel, which was the topic that started this thread. Again, no image, but thought I'd include the link in case anyone else is looking. I have obviously found the image at some point but not here I think.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/628042?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 January 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Johnw65.

I wonder if you would mind giving a little more advice on the burial/grave registers at Duke Street? I am looking for the grave details for John Robinson d26 Jun 1899, his father William Robinson, died the same day, and Frederick Rigby, also died the same day. John is my ggf, William my 2xggf and Frederick is a cousin. They all died at the end of Southport pier whilst lowering a lifeboat. There is a memorial in the cemetery but I've never worked out where they were actually buried. I have now found them all on the same page in the burial register; page No. 83, with a hand written 785 next to it. I don't know what that means.

John has grave no. 264 and William 3813. I can't locate them by grave number. I need the Grave Register folio number. I've tried the Grave Index. Grave No. 264 has folio 290/2619. Folio 290 is Vol.3a 1879-1970. But when I go to that volume, there are no grave register folio numbers. So I am very confused!

I wondered if the '785' from the burial register might be the grave register folio.  But there is no 785. There may be a Vol. 5a that is missing. There is a gap between 723-874.

If you can help that would be great. But I could email the Southport Crem.

Jane

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 January 21 09:18 GMT (UK) »
If you can get the grave number I’ll look for gravestones/memorials for them as well. It’ll probably be sometime next week when it stops raining!

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 January 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel,
Thanks, John Robinson is grave number 264, and his father William is 3813. Frederick is 315. But I don’t know what Section those are in, except all are in unconsecrated ground. I have no idea why, but I’m guessing no one had any money to bury them  any other way. I know that a collection was made for the Widows and children.
I need the details from the grave registers, but I am completely flummoxed on how to find them. The Index doesn’t seem to bear any resemblance to the registers. So frustrating. When I eventually sort this out I should make sure to write myself a guide for future reference!
Jane
PS.. just remembered .. the Memorial is not to them. That is for the earlier lifeboat disaster when the Mexico had to be rescued. Most of the crew of the Eliza Fernley were lost. They were also cousins of various degrees. I’m amazed any of my ancestors from then survived to leave descendants!

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 January 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I’ve found a plan of the cemetery and  I really need a section number to be in the right area to look for the grave. From previous experiences grave numbers aren’t always easy to find. I’ll see what I can do. It’ll be after it’s stopped raining!

Do you know the name of the lifeboat? I think it would be either the Mary Anna or Edith Annie. If it’s the first I have a photo of it.

When our libraries reopen I might be able to get more info and/or photos. Mind you that’ll be at least Easter I reckon. I’ll also be able to get the reports from the Southport Visiter if you’d like.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am struggling a bit with the graves registers this morning, but the section numbers seem to be given in the indexes at the top of the list on FamilySearch
So we need
Burial index, surnames Q-W, 1b, 1866-1938
DGS 5891583

And the three gentlemen are on there here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9Q1-79YK

For William Robinson I think it says section K
For John Robinson and Frederick Rigby, both section 5

Then gives number and folio in the register of graves and register of purchased graves.
I'll see if I can find more
John