Author Topic: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street  (Read 2095 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:21 GMT (UK) »
For John Robinson in the register of graves, it says number 264 folio 497
So we go to
Grave register, folio 479-628, v. 4a, ca. 1898-1991
DGS 5891958

Folio 497 is there, handwritten number
Grave number 264 is the first one
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G97M-WP6C

Confirms in section 5
John Robinson and Eliza Ann Robinson are buried in the same grave
Three people called Monk, and a Frederick Capper.

It also gives the number in the register of purchased graves, 5546, as per the index.

According to the index Frederick Rigby was on folio 496 in the graves register, number 315.
And sure enough he is on the previous image (38) on FamilySearch, second from bottom.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
For William Robinson the index says folio 182 in the graves register, number 3813
So we want
Grave register, folio 127-224, v. 2, ca. 1872-1964
DGS 5891955

Here he is, third one down on image 111, buried with three other Robinsons. Dates of burial, and number and folio in the burial registers are given.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97M-W6K6

Do we think the section is K?
John

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
You are totally brilliant! I have been trying to work out how to use those Registers for the last day and a half!
Eliza Ann Robinson (née Howard) is John's wife. Monk is the married surname of a grand daughter of John. He was killed WW1 I think. No sure who Capper is but I'll soon find out.. I'm good at that side!

I still can't work out how you found that.. I found the Grave Register with number 264 but I can't see a Folio No.?

I'll follow all your leads and see if I can reproduce it.

Thank you so much.
Jane
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I would say yes, it's K. Not H which was my other though. Not sure what the one above William is for surname Roberts.. N maybe. Handwriting adds another layer of difficulty.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Gibel.. well done on finding the burial ground plan.
I think the name of the boat was 'The Three Brothers'. I think the Edith Annie replace that one, and Mary Anna came next. William was Coxswain until his death.
I have a photo of the Mary Anna. William is the one standing fourth from the left as you look at it.. with the different cap. Next to him is Henry Robinson, the ? Jackson, they both survived the early disaster. John Robinson I think is the one standing far left.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 January 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Johnw65..
So I found the Grave Register yesterday p83 - 785, No. 264. But on that page I couldn't find a Folio Number.
Is this the same page you found
John is second from the bottom and you have to go to the next image for the grave number. But no Folio?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97M-W6K6

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 January 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Right I’m all organised I just need a fine day for tramping round the cemetery.

Years ago when I first met my father’s cousin he showed me a photo of a gravestone in Duke St Cemetery but he didn’t know whereabouts the gravestone was. Went to the cemetery and lined up the chimneys with those in the street running parallel and then quartered the area until I found it!

Your graves will be easier as I know the area to look in.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 January 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
That is funny..! I had something similar .. a photo but not even the name of a cemetery. I looked at images online of all the possible graveyards, and found one with the same background.  that was London so quite easy -- luckily they were buried on the edge by railings with distinct buildings behind.
Thank you.
Rotten weather here too..
I've just emailed a family member who lives nearby.. so they might go.. family history not really their thing.. they think I'm mad!
Jane

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 January 21 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane
Yes it seems to be the same image
Folio 182 is top left

I would imagine those graves registers are laid out in order of use/purchase. So without a key it would be very difficult to find a person, unless you know for sure who was buried first. They seem to have handwritten the folio numbers in themselves.

Those index films are what you need to find someone in the graves registers.
They also act as a short cut to the burial registers, though they are not strictly necessary for them.

As to the registers of purchased graves, are they complete on there? I think that is where we probably found your first one (with there possibly being a missing grave register?)

Good luck to Gibel on your hunt!
John