Author Topic: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Congregational Church, Chapel Street
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to get the death certificates to confirm these are your family members. Little London was the name given to the area around Haweside where the Barton’s were living. Nancy’s family was from Churchtown I think her father was Cuthbert Ball so perhaps she was buried with family members. When the weather’s better I’ll drive up to St Cuthbert’s church and wander around the gravestones. It’s too far to walk from home there.

It seems strange that the couple are not buried in the same churchyard. Holy Trinity burials/gravestones were also moved at some point to Duke Street cemetery. Perhaps Henry has family members buried there.

They are certainly spread about their first Sarah Ellen was baptised at Christ Church on 20 October 1849 and buried there on May 20 1850. Christ Church burials were also moved to Duke St cemetery.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel.. yes, you make a good point but I know this is my family. Sarah Ellen Barton (married Dennison) was my great grandmother. I have her baptism, daughter of Henry and Nancy. Sarah Ellen’s daughter Lucy Dennison, is my grandmother.
I have BMD certificates for Lucy and marriage certificate for Sarah Ellen Barton and Michael Dennison. The earlier Sarah Ellen you found may be a child that died or a child born to another couple (there is a Henry and Mary Barton.. I need to double check that.)
The problem has been the burials.
Jonw65 messaged me earlier to say he had found burials for Henry and Nancy. They fit the other data I have for them. Henry buried aged 54 22 Jul 1882. Census data has him born c1824, so 4 year difference, but that is not unusual.
Nancy was buried 13 MY 1873 at St. Cuthbert’s, aged 52 of Little London. That fits her profile too.
Can’t believe I couldn’t find them.. I’ve looked for two/three years on and off. So the Congregational Church burials of Barton are not this family, though it may be earlier Bartons.
I still can’t find a burial for Sarah Ellen. There is a civil reg for 1919 which fits. Her husband Michael deserted her around 1900 leaving her with several children. He disappeared completely. In 1901 and 1911 Census she is recorded as a Widow. Perhaps she was by then. But no burial.
Lucy Dennison married James Robinson. They are both buried in Duke Street. Possibly Sarah Ellen is there too. But I can’t find her.
So thank you for offering your help.. I was on the wrong track. I really appreciate your input.
Jane.

Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sarah Ellen Dennison was buried at Duke Street, 17 Feb 1919. Age 68
On FamilySearch if registered and logged in (two images)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97M-S9SD-N

An index gives more references for the grave of Sarah Ellen
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99Q1-3HC

But I cannot find a graves register including folio 798 on FS :(

All the films for Duke Street, the burial registers are not all listed in date order
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1910607

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 21 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I’ll wander up to the cemetery and have a look for a gravestone one day. I can see it’s in Section 5.

I’m impressed that jonw65 can understand the Duke Street films on family search I find them baffling!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 21 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gibel, I wish I could understand them as well as it appears I do!
Success with a graves register for Sarah Ellen, stumbled upon it.
Seems to be section 15 grave 544
Stone headstone Kerbstone 2 inscriptions. Date of erection 1946
After Sarah is Thomas Henry Dennison, 24 Aug 1926, age 50.
Then Lilian Harris, then a couple called Firth.

Whose names might be on what I don't know.
Grave owner(s) names are redacted.
Two images, those buried in the grave are on the second one.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-897M-4JVP

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow.. thanks jonw65.. I looked for that yesterday, and just had another look on Find A Grave directly. She doesn’t come up.. I swear search engines have gremlins in them!
That is great. Much appreciated.
Jane
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sarah Ellen Dennison was buried at Duke Street, 17 Feb 1919. Age 68
On FamilySearch if registered and logged in (two images)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97M-S9SD-N

Did you scroll through the burial images for that? That is really kind of you. I’ve tried finding the image myself and it is jolly difficult.. as you say, they aren’t all in date order.
I didn’t even know Duke Street burials were in there.
Also, the burial register gives her address which is lovely as I now know she was living with her daughter Lucy. That address is where my father was born. It also says she is Widow of John Michael Dennison. All other records for him are only for Michael. Interesting. It might help me find him.

ThNk you again
Jane

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Seems to be section 15 grave 544
Stone headstone Kerbstone 2 inscriptions. Date of erection 1946
After Sarah is Thomas Henry Dennison, 24 Aug 1926, age 50.
Then Lilian Harris, then a couple called Firth.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-897M-4JVP

You get a gold star! That’s amazing.. you have found me half a dozen family burials. After Sarah, those other names are her children.. Thomas Henry 1875-1925, Maria Ellen 1887-1962 married Sydney Firth, and Lilian (born Lily) 1879-1969, married Slender Harris.
My grandmother Lucy may have owned the grave. It’s the sort of thing she would have done. Her married name was Robinson. But it could have been any of the family I guess. I could write to the cemetery now I have some information .. thank you, thank you.
Jane

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 10:05 GMT (UK) »
The next sunny day I will go and take a photo of the gravestone for you. It’s very grey today!

Find a grave definitely hasn’t got photos of all the graves in Duke St. I have a number of relatives buried there with gravestones and none show on FAG website.