Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 24th January  (Read 973 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 24th January
« on: Sunday 24 January 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
feel like I'm running on the spot lately, the days go by and I keep busy but somehow it's all the same. I've been asking myself over these last months whether I'll be going back to how my life was, when we all get the opportunity to think about things like that. There are some things from the last year that I'll certainly keep - walking in the fresh air instead of the treadmill in the gym, although the gym will still be useful when it pours down all day. And I have no intention of giving up my grocery deliveries to trawl around the supermarket aisles, I always hated that. Time will tell I suppose, at the moment it just feels like limbo.

Sent a birthday message to a friend, had been waiting till it wasn't too early in case she was having a lie in but she beat me to it by sending thanks for her card. Thank goodness for the likes of Moonpig and Funky Pigeon, I'd have been lost without them.

There was a hard frost this morning and it stayed all day, far too cold for the snow that has hit the country further south. The up side was that once again it was a bright sunny day. I'd decided to wait till the afternoon for my walk when the temperature was forecast to reach two degrees instead of zero. The forecast was later changed, it would be 1 degree. That wasn't actually the reason for my waiting, I wanted get on with my painting. The teacher had kept emphasising that the paint mixture should be weak. I tested all the colours before putting brush to paper but I always forget how much lighter watercolours dry. I'd spent quite a lot of time trying to get it right, I think perhaps I was over cautious, will see what I think in the daylight tomorrow.

Out for a walk after lunch, as forecast it was freezing but I was well wrapped up, only my finger ends got cold. Walked around the walkway, there were a few families with little children, letting off steam I expect. Stepped on to the field, it was crunching beneath my feet. There were tiny frozen pools dotted amongst the grass, everything was hard instead of soggy. Walked through the woods, was able to return along the edge of the field, I haven't been that way for weeks, it's been so wet. There were some bigger pools in the dips in the grass, all iced over. Returned through the snicket at the end of my road.

Did a bit more tinkering about with my painting then some ironing. Changed my Tesco order twice, the second time because I'd forgotten to add any wine, perish the thought.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 24th January
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 21 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Too cold here for a walk this morning, even the dogs turned round at the back door and came back in.

Up early this morning, 7.30 as someone was coming from RD&E hospital to give the other half a covid test. When I asked what time, I was told "some time between 8am and 7pm, very helpful.
She's in on Tuesday to have her feeding peg removed. It was fitted about 3 years ago and she was told nil by mouth from that point on because of silent aspiration. (and she'd possibly die of pneumonia). Well, she ignored the advice and never used it, so its one bit of external plumbing being removed, and the silent aspiration disappeared
So, I tend to pace up and down when someone is due, I was still pacing at 3pm.
Anyway, going back to the ungodly time of 7am when I got up, a nice surprise when I opened the curtains, snow. only a smattering, but the view! Spectacular looking down the valley, about 10 miles to Whiddon Down, the moors. A few flurries over the next hour or so but melting fast.
Breakfast and 2 cups of tea later, the carer was due, to get C into the shower but then the phone call, "I'm stuck", so it was down to me today to get C Sorted out and back onto the bed.
A pretty normal day after that, a bit of laundry, ironing, cleaning, the paramedic at 3pm, then a little nap.
For a change, I did a bit of reading later,
Foul Deeds & Suspicious Deaths in Staffordshire & the Potteries.
(where my Hulme lot are from) an extremely violent place in the 1800's.
By then it was dinner time for me, the OH and the dogs. That done, its an hour or 2 in front of the TV if I could find something interesting to watch..... 📺🤔

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 21 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, not sure I understand “too cold for snow”.
Griff, you’re right about not finding anything on TV.  We do have streaming services but just the evening talking about getting rid of Netflix.  It adds up as we have cable/internet too.
Quiet day, I felt low and tired until later in the afternoon, we played scrabble and put some music on.  70’s stuff, made me feel young again.  I lost at scrabble but had helped OH out on a couple of words, so....no more Ms. Nice Gal, he’s on his own!
More family history, a bit of the puzzle, and I cleaned the fridge.  Only one thing shoved to the back, to be thrown out, must be a new record.
-8 C or so today, only out to let dog run around yard.  We had thicker denser smaller flake snowfall, not pretty like flurries. 

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Griff, you’re right about not finding anything on TV.  We do have streaming services but just the evening talking about getting rid of Netflix.  It adds up as we have cable/internet too.
Quiet day, I felt low and tired until later in the afternoon, we played scrabble and put some music on.  70’s stuff, made me feel young again.  I lost at scrabble but had helped OH out on a couple of words, so....no more Ms. Nice Gal, he’s on his own!
More family history, a bit of the puzzle, and I cleaned the fridge.  Only one thing shoved to the back, to be thrown out, must be a new record.
-8 C or so today, only out to let dog run around yard.  We had thicker denser smaller flake snowfall, not pretty like flurries. 
-8? Sounds like an excellent day for scrabble.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 21 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, meant to add that I think we too will change our shopping to pickup at the store rather than the hassle of going in.  Might do the odd store run but this way is so more efficient.  I know they had it before the pandemic but I never thought to take advantage.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 21 01:22 GMT (UK) »
-8? Sounds like an excellent day for scrabble.

Yes, cold enough, typical January.  Noticed though, the days are getting longer.  Still quite light at 5:30 pm.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes Diana, the days are slowly drawing out. Glad to know you were feeling better as the day went on. I have often heard people say the temp was "too cold for snow", I always assumed is was something to do with the frozeness of the falling moisture, but obviously it must be much colder in the polar regions, and they get snow.
Griff your days are so full, but what good news that your OH didn't have to go the nil by mouth route. You must be somewhere around the Exeter region, and the hills were pretty yesterday morning, though it didn't last here at the coast.  We had snow on South Beach early, and until after lunch on Churston Golf course.
Nothing much to report. A daily walk naturally. (Glad you enjoy yours so much Roobarb.) I always keep a look out for flowers to photograph. I send one out to several groups early each day intending to spread cheer, and remind people they are not forgotten.
Watched "Pottery Throwdown", they had to make a fruitbowl with life like fruits and then a carafe and beakers blindfolded. Astonishingly successful. Awesome group!
A sunny day so my fairy lights lasted a long time through the evening.
5 ships in the Bay.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes Diana, the days are slowly drawing out. Glad to know you were feeling better as the day went on. I have often heard people say the temp was "too cold for snow", I always assumed is was something to do with the frozeness of the falling moisture, but obviously it must be much colder in the polar regions, and they get snow.
Griff your days are so full, but what good news that your OH didn't have to go the nil by mouth route. You must be somewhere around the Exeter region, and the hills were pretty yesterday morning, though it didn't last here at the coast.  We had snow on South Beach early, and until after lunch on Churston Golf course.
Nothing much to report. A daily walk naturally. (Glad you enjoy yours so much Roobarb.) I always keep a look out for flowers to photograph. I send one out to several groups early each day intending to spread cheer, and remind people they are not forgotten.
Watched "Pottery Throwdown", they had to make a fruitbowl with life like fruits and then a carafe and beakers blindfolded. Astonishingly successful. Awesome group!
A sunny day so my fairy lights lasted a long time through the evening.
5 ships in the Bay.

yes indeed, on the side of the valley and high above the A30 (old and new) not too far from Pathfinder village, a beautiful spot.
Busy days, always, and occasionally busy nights too, but I'm well used to it.
The pottery throw down, what a brilliant programme!
Poor old wasisname, in tears again. And the imagination and skill of that group. I love it 
Griff

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Drat..... why will it not post sometimes.... all written out and now gone....
Haven’t got the energy to repost...

Glad to hear others are well and keeping safe... my good wishes to all...
Lots of snow yesterday looking pretty...
Won scrabble...
Spoke to family...
Sum total of the day..
Late to bed as binged watched The Serpent...  Bed gone 1.30am!!!
Watched Pottery Throwdown... couldn’t do it without blind fold let alone with it... enjoyable..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK