Author Topic: RC Chapel - Michelstown, 1873  (Read 563 times)

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RC Chapel - Michelstown, 1873
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello from snowy Canada!  I would appreciate any input re: the following.

Via irishgenealogy.ie I have located the long Marriage Registration of past relatives Simon Armstrong & Margaret Nash who married on 21 January 1873. My question is in regards to the church where they were married.

In the Registration, the church is described as the Roman Catholic Chapel of "Ballindangan" in Kildorrery, Union of Michelstown, Co. Cork.

Would that be the building which is still standing today as the Church of Immaculate Conception in Castleterry, Ballindangan, which is listed in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage as being built in 1830 - 1850?

And just to confirm: Castleterry is the Townland, Ballindangan is the Village, Michelstown is both a town and Catholic Parish?  I confess that I struggle a bit with some of your geographic descriptions!! 

Thanks, in advance, for your help! Hope you are all staying safe on your side of the Atlantic!
CAM12

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: RC Chapel - Michelstown, 1873
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 16:55 GMT (UK) »

Via irishgenealogy.ie I have located the long Marriage Registration of past relatives Simon Armstrong & Margaret Nash who married on 21 January 1873. My question is in regards to the church where they were married.

In the Registration, the church is described as the Roman Catholic Chapel of "Ballindangan" in Kildorrery, Union of Michelstown, Co. Cork.

??? ???

If you look at the image attached below, they were married in the RC Church of Kildorrery in the Registrar's District of Kildorrery in the Union of Mitchelstown in the County of Cork.

Margaret was from the townland of Kildorrery.
https://www.townlands.ie/cork/fermoy/kildorrery/kildorrery/kildorrery/

To understand the land divisions in Ireland, have a look at this-
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-land-divisions.html

KG

Edited to add:
Simon was a shopkeeper from the town of Cashel, Co Tipperary
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/cashel-urban/
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
KG - thanks for the reply.

I was just trying to figure out if the Church of Immaculate Conception built in 1830-1850 which is still operating today in Castleterry, Ballindagan is the same location where my relatives married in 1873 (which was described on their Marriage Registration as the Roman Catholic Chapel in Ballindagan).

Do you think that these churches are one-in-the-same?

Thanks for the links re: townlands.
CAM12

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Cam12,

Are your ancestors Simon Armstrong and Margaret Nash?
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline cam12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 21 01:03 GMT (UK) »
KG ... thank you so much for your replies!

I just realized the error that I made.  When I copied the Marriage Certificate of Simon Armstrong and Margaret Nash over from irishgenealogy.ie to a Word document for my records ... I THOUGHT I had cropped out anything other than the information relating to them ... and I accidentally picked up the Church details for the NEXT couple listed on that same page!!

Them getting married in Kildorrery makes so much more sense!

So now the question is - does the Catholic church where they married in Kildorrery in 1873 still exist?  I will look more closely at the Cloyne diocese links which you provided.

Thanks again!
CAM12