Author Topic: Emily Lyon born 1829 1831 Scotland  (Read 887 times)

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Lyon born 1829 1831 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for further info everyone. Yes you’re right Forfarian. Francis was previously married to Margaret Macinally. She died and he then married Emily. Emily had Ann and Ellen and also had some of the older children living with her initially.
Emily’s later life was very sad. She died when she rushed to help her female neighbour who was being attacked by her brother. It was in all of the local papers in 1864. They had a very quaint way of writing newspaper stories at that time!

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
How do you get a copy of an England marriage certificate, if there is no reference to the certificate online? There is a reference tomFrancis and Emily’s marriage in the marriage index. Is this enough info to apply for the certificate?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:45 GMT (UK) »
See https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

For marriage certificates you can get the reference number from https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

However I see that CaroleW has found an index listing of the marriage on FamilySearch that says Emily's father's name was William Lyon, which is the most important detail for present purposes. The marriage certificate should tell you his occupation and whether or not he was deceased.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 21 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I’m returning to this thread as I’ve received Emily’s marriage certificate in the post. It conforms what I’d thought, that her father William Lyon was a bookbinder. On one (at least) of her sibling’s death certificates, his father is listed as a bookbinder. He worked at Pleasance in the centre of Edinburgh.
 Through Scotland’s People, I have found more siblings for Emily and for each there is  baptism information and for some, death information. Her 7 siblings: John, Janet, Margaret, Henry, Marion Gray, Alexander Monteith and William were all born between 1816 and 1837 with their baptism info listing parents William Lyon and Margaret Austie (sometimes spelled Austin).
So now that I know Emily is William’s daughter and there is evidence of her living with Margaret and the 2 youngest boys in the 1841 census, I cannot fathom why she is the only one to have no birth/baptism evidence online that I can find. If there is any, it’s likely to be that she’s as born in the St Cuthbert’s area of Edinburgh. If anyone can find any birth evidence for her, I’d be so grateful.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I’m returning to this thread as I’ve received Emily’s marriage certificate in the post. It conforms what I’d thought, that her father William Lyon was a bookbinder. On one (at least) of her sibling’s death certificates, his father is listed as a bookbinder. He worked at Pleasance in the centre of Edinburgh.
Good progress.

So now that I know Emily is William’s daughter and there is evidence of her living with Margaret and the 2 youngest boys in the 1841 census, I cannot fathom why she is the only one to have no birth/baptism evidence online that I can find.
Most likely the event was never written down - maybe the parents omitted to get her baptised, or neglected to get it recorded, or the clerk forgot to write it down, or something of the sort.

BTW don't expect all information to be available online. Almost all surviving baptisms before 1855 are indeed online, but there is far more information offline than there is online, generally speaking.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 March 21 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. I think I’ll have to accept that I won’t find anything to prove she was born or baptised.

Offline Catservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 March 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a theory in my mind that she could be the daughter of one of William and Margaret’s older 2 children and was brought up by grandparents as their own?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 March 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a theory in my mind that she could be the daughter of one of William and Margaret’s older 2 children and was brought up by grandparents as their own?
William and Margaret's eldest daughter Janet was born late in 1818. Emily was 12 in the 1841 census, which means that she was born in 1828 or 1829, when Janet was at most 10 years old. 

I think I’ll have to accept that I won’t find anything to prove she was born or baptised.
I think the fact that she got married and had a family and died is enough to prove that she was born, even if it doesn't prove exactly when she was born :)