Author Topic: Genes Reunited  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 September 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy

Julian is doing a great job so I will leave it to him to continue.

Just think how pleased you will be when you have completed it.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brisbane Billy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:03 BST (UK) »
G'day again Jane

Thanks for your help.

I agree, Julian is doing just great. I just hope he doesn't get bored, because whilst I love my new hobby which has revitalised my retirement, he might get kind of bugged by having to explain things a million times.

Still, I will not be beaten my these new fangled gadgets.

I was an aeronautical engineer, so I am sure with abit of guidance, Julian will be able to educate me. If you're in the UK, it must be about 1.00 am, so sweet dreams.

Is a C drive some sort of electric vehicle ?

I have a nephew who doesn't know what a bench seat was or a column change  on a Ford Zodiac. His loss.

Bill

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:07 BST (UK) »

Julian, I haven't downloaded a Gedfile from GRU. How do I do that. I'm sorry to be such a drag, but the octoganerians that live in my complex are only a miniscule older than me so they cannot help, but I will not be beaten.

God only knows what a GRU Gedlink is. Is it curable ?

Billy

Down the left-hand side, below the advert which keeps changing, there's a link called "Import/Export Tree".  Click this.

This should open a page headed "Import and Export Your Family Tree"

Scroll down to the "Export gedcom" button.  Click this.  [This may be a bit slow to load; sorry, very slow!]

You then get a box saying open or save.  Click save and it will open up a "Save" window on your computer.  Save the file, and remember what it was called and where it is on your computer.

Is a C drive some sort of motorised vehicle ?

Your C: Drive is normally where your computer stores all your files

Open Personal Ancestral File, and then click "open file" or "import gedcom" [can't remember which it is called] and navigate round your system to where the gedcom file that you have saved is (xxxxnnnn.ged).  One you have found it, click open in the "open file" window. That should load your file from GRU into PAF.  Be warned that you might lose a bit of data, but you shouldn't lose your dates for Births, marriages and deaths.

Cross fingers

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Brisbane Billy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:20 BST (UK) »
God, you're an angel. Can you hold on for a few secs

Offline Brisbane Billy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:31 BST (UK) »
Blue.

I've done the export gedom bit and it worked. Just going to PAF.

Standby, this is flaming exciting mate

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:33 BST (UK) »
Billy

I've just disappeared for a few mos to check the process for importing a Gedcom into personal anscestral file.

Before you can import a gedcom file into PAF, you need to create a new file in PAF.  Just follow the instructions.  Once you have an "empty" tree, you can import the file.  Indeed if you click "import" in PAF (on the "File" dropdown in the top-left-hand corner) it will take you through this automatically.

Fingers still crossed

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:43 BST (UK) »
He he  ;D  I've just read this whole thread and its fascinating!!! 
GO BILLY you can do it!!  ;D  You'll never look back, once you have your tree on your computer, and your friends at Rootschat to help you on your way.  You'll find more ancestors than you ever thought existed!

Prue

Offline Brisbane Billy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:49 BST (UK) »
Julian & Prue,

I am really grateful , but I am 79 and I can't even get this bloody pAF thing to work, bit don't go. I worked on Spitfires ( Google if you're youngsters ) . This is really peeing me off. I'll be back in a minute.

If not, you'll have to log in for me, although that would be defaet.

Stand by your beds.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 September 05 01:53 BST (UK) »
I know you can do it Billy, if you worked on Spitfires you're probably a darn sight more competent than the rest of us!  Don't worry, my dad used to be an engineer for IBM when one computer took up a whole room and was full of vacuum valves.  He won't even go near the modern kind, and he's about your age, so at least you've taken that quantum leap!

Tell us what you're trying to do to get the PAF to work, and we might be able to work out what the problem is.  I'm down south from you, so it's still morning here, and I'll be awake for a few hours yet.

Prue