Author Topic: Covid Vaccination side effects for Asthmatics  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Covid Vaccination side effects for Asthmatics
« on: Thursday 28 January 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry if this query has cropped up before.

My son, who is 51 years old and has quite severe asthma was classed in the vulnerable group and had his Covid Vaccine yesterday.

I have received a text from him today (he lives about 60 miles away) -- telling me that he has been off work today as he is feeling very grotty. Presumably vaccination side effects because of his asthma.

Please can anyone with asthma tell me if they suffered side effects following their vaccination -- or know of anyone who has please?

If so -- what was the outcome and how long did it last? As a Mum I am naturally very worried about him -- possibly unnecessarily, but it's not like him to take tiime off work.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination side effects for Asthmatics
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Graham thank you so much -- I had checked the internet, but hadn't seen the lung conditions section contained in your second link.

This implies that the vaccination is safe for people with lung conditions and they should continue on their normal medication.

I don't want to be a pestering Mum (for a change) -- and will try to wait until tomorrow before checking up on him.

Thank you again for your time and trouble.
Places of interest;

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 21 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I’m asthmatic and “extremely vulnerable”, yesterday I was put on a 5 day course of steroids due to a bad flare up and antibiotics. I told the GP I was having my first vaccination today and was told as long as I didn’t have a temperature it was OK to have it. At the clinic this afternoon the nurse doing the injection went and checked with the doctor on site that it was OK for me to have the vaccine, it was. However everyone was being told that they might feel a bit groggy for 24 hours and to take paracetamol if that happened

So far 6 hours later I feel fine, a friend’s brother with no underlining conditions was groggy for 24 hours. I hope your son is feeling better now.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Gibel -- thank you so much. My son also has had to be put on steroids now and again when his asthma flares up.

On the day he had his Covid vaccination (it was Astrazeneca - not sure if that makes any difference) - he woke up in the middle of that night, with pains in his body and head. He was also sick and felt nauseous afterwards. -

The symptoms he experienced were all listed as possible side effects - he just seemed to get several of them! By the following evening I am pleased to say he felt much, much better.

I was just worrying for nothing -- as I immediately thought it was due to his asthma, which wasn't the case.

Thank you so much for responding - I really appreciate it.
Places of interest;

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 21 13:42 GMT (UK) »
These immediate side effects are the consequence of the non-specific immune response and therefore show that his immune system has detected the intruding vaccine. Worth remembering that the immune system deals with many immunological challenges every day, both antigens from the environment and antigens on our own cells; that's also part of the protection we have against cancer, where the immune system detects cancer cells as non-self and attacks them.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 21 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Graham -- that is so useful to know -- afterwards my son said that one of the sensations he experienced caused him to feel that there were little 'movements' inside his body (he couldn't really describe it properly) -- but what you have just explained may have been his immune system at work!

Thank you very much for that information.
Places of interest;

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 21 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I had the Pfizer one but beyond my arm being a little sore I’m OK. The steroids and antibiotics are doing there job and I’m generally coughing less than I have done for weeks which is great!

I’m glad your son is feeling better and like me feels that it is the beginning of the road to a more normal life. I’m not expecting “shielding” to end until  sometime in April at the earliest. I think my week in the Lakes in early May will be moved again!l

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel -- yes my son always felt better after the course of steroids too. Actually. last time he needed steroids late last year -- afterwards, his inhaler medication was increased, and that has helped him enormously with his asthma symptoms.

Yes -- I suspect many people's planned holidays may go 'up in the air'. However the vaccinations are really being done at a very fast pace up here (North West) - I am really impressed with the organisation of what is a huge job for all those involved.

Take care and stay safe!
Places of interest;