Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 28th January  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 28th January
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 January 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Griff - I love your sense of humour when these trying circumstances would fold most of us!
It’s great to be such a positive person and I take my hat of to you... I’d never cope with any of what you do....
Take care and hope your day has improved 😀😀

Caroline
Thank you Caroline.
It's OK at the moment, sat down, feet up and a nice frothy cappuccino
Waiting for the nurse to come 👍

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 January 21 17:08 GMT (UK) »
RTL: "That sounds like a lovely walk on the beach despite the weather, Mowsehowse.  I think it must have been quite relaxing to watch the wagtails.
I haven't read that book - is this the one that was made into a film with Hugh Grant?"

Yes, it was nice to watch the wagtails, one of my favourite little birds... the males always make me think of city gents bustling around importantly. ;)

As Diana said, "About a Boy" is by Nick Hornby, and is the one made into a film with Hugh Grant.
I am finding it very readable, though it does make me want to cry quite often.

Griff you are brilliant, and you don't want to sleep under a pier, in case a barn owl eats you!!  :P
["Winter Watch" if that is too cryptic.]
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 January 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
It's nice when we can escape in a good book, Mowsehowse.  I am glad to hear you are enjoying this book, it sounds very moving.
I have just started on the Killing Snows by Charles Egan.  I once saw it recommended somewhere on RC and I am interested in it to learn a bit more about my Irish side heritage.
I, like you, like watching nature.  I haven't been since the new lockdown but I used to like walking around our local cemetery, which has a wooded  area and watching the birds and squirrels (probably now in hibernation).  I used to take photos for Find A Grave there. Hope to again when things get better.  Last year, I have two beautiful sights etched on my mind - all the breathtaking bluebells at the cemetery which I saw after first lockdown eased.  Also, there was one day when things were much better when I went with Son and Grandson to Tynemouth.  We were at the monument near Priory Castle and it was a glorious sunny day and the sea and sky were so vivid blue and the sunlight seemed to sparkle on the water.  It was one of those beautiful sights which makes you feel happy inside and that all is alright with the world.  Unlike now when it is raining and horribly cold. 
Well, Igorstrav hasn't made me sleep in through questions about the hot cross buns, after all.  I can't remember if the packaging promised raisons and sultanas too, Igor.  But I would imagine so.  I hope so.
Roobarb, going back to an earlier post - yes, those women were indeed fearsome.  Not the type of experience you might usually come across on Tyneside.  This stirred up lots of emotions in me - I felt glad he got told off, then felt a bit sorry for him and also felt a bit guilty about feeling glad he was told off.  At least, the man and driver might think twice next time.
Not looking forward to going out in the cold shortly but I do look forward to the bus ride, so at least that is a plus.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 January 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh I'm pleased I didn't make you oversleep RTL - I popped in because I enjoyed your 'too full for soup' stories, but the hot cross buns of cheddar and marmite flavour brought me up short.....

I do hope they don't have raisins and sultanas in, because if they don't they'll be savoury and I should think really lovely toasted with lots of butter!!  :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 January 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, some do have it hard, Griff, I hope things get sorted for yourOH and so you too.
Lovely flower pictures, many thanks they are very cheering.
I think we are all doing well,I really do.
It is almost a year since ;D normal life ,family hugs and friends ,shopping and visiting.
We will get there , things might never be the same again but in the last hundred years there have been three cataclysmic events and we and or our ancestors ,got through.
By the way my big black boots are not slim patent leather thigh high stiletto
 heeled ones ,they are black suede with a sheepskin lining which gets stuck in the zip sometimes.  ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 January 21 22:36 GMT (UK) »
 :'(  Oh heck V,  you've ruined the image now!
 :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 January 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Victoria, thank you.
It's easier than it has been in the past and after the ordeal of earlier today, the community matron appeared late afternoon with a pack of the biggest absorbant pads and plasters I've ever seen and dressed the wound again, but I just checked it and I don't think it will last the night without leaking. It might take a few more days to heal.  ::)
Griff

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 January 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what to say Griff.....
Hope the nurse will be back early to help dress the wound again.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 January 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what to say Griff.....
Hope the nurse will be back early to help dress the wound again.
Ummm, no. She left lots of dressings for me. 😁 She's back Tuesday.
It's not the worst thing I've ever had to do. The OH is in the bedroom having a nap at the moment so I'm having a nice little break before bedtime.