Author Topic: Diary > Friday 29th January  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 29th January
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 January 21 08:30 GMT (UK) »
All that description of how the vaccination process is working in some parts of the country is fascinating, though I suspect technology will have altered by the time I get offered mine, and the chance of being allowed our rolled over tour of NZ recedes daily.
I have had word from Israel, Germany and USA that many, many, contacts have had their first shot already. 
Not all the care homes have been covered as yet, and evidently they are still working through over 75s here, but I know 2nd vacs are sometimes being arranged at same time as first. Not uniformly though.
Lovely you have seen the babies Annette, what a joy they are doing well.
Thank heavens for your art class Roobarb, it has sustained you throughout, and soon you will have your garden again as well.
As to the dog situation Caroline.... words fail me.
Griff, while I know there must be countless carers throughout the country in your situation, (and I'm glad your wife's attitude to it all makes you feel she is the hero,) it doesn't alter the facts that your constant dedication makes all the difference, and I am certain I couldn't sustain such a selfless routine, month after month, as you do.
Hang in there RTL, I don't know if you even have the energy to read any RC posts during blocks of night shifts, but I have been there, and done that, and I know how gruelling it is.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse, good morning.
Although the OH had things like narcolepsy and fibro myalgia when we met, the diagnosis of "progressive multiple sclerosis" was given after a simple eye test for glasses led to a flurry of appointments at our local hospital and a series of MRI scans, each one more detailed, and luckily, my notes which I'd been keeping for months on what I was observing on a daily basis helped the neurologist too.
OK, still manageable but life changing.
Then in 2014, she fell out of bed and couldn't move, so I called an ambulance and off she went.
That led to 5 months of hospital and rehab before she was allowed back home, and whereas she could walk with the aid of a stick before, now she was in a wheelchair and could only walk with one person supporting her on each side, but it was very short distances.
Also, 2 new diagnosis, relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis replacing "progressive", and muscular dystrophy, 2 neurological conditions rarely seen together, which of course meant quite intense care.
So, several relapses, bouts of pneumonia, sepsis and uti's later, she's now bedbound.
That's why I think she's a hero.
She does moan a lot, but then, so would I

Added,
I should just say that during the first part of the hospital stay, she was quadriplegic, probably a month.
You loose any dignity you might have had when you're pulled, pushed, poked and prodded, and every time you leave the bed you're in a hoist, 4 foot above the floor in a general ward.
Griff

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
  :'(  What can I say Griff?  Life can be SO unfair!
I know you do everything you can to mitigate circumstances as best you can.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:30 GMT (UK) »
  :'(  What can I say Griff?  Life can be SO unfair!
I know you do everything you can to mitigate circumstances as best you can.
Yes, life certainly can be.
I of course have my own health issues, much overlooked. But I'm only a "10 pill a day man" I've a long way to go yet!
The secret is, stay positive no matter what life throws at you. 👍

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Griff - I am speechless, which is most unusual for me, the only words I have to say are..... respect my dear man respect...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Griff - I am speechless, which is most unusual for me, the only words I have to say are..... respect my dear man respect...

Caroline
Good morning Caroline and thank you.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:04 GMT (UK) »

Believe me I DO try, but perhaps resilience might be a natal trait?
H has SO much sometimes I want to throttle him for being so blind, because I don't believe I am a pessimist.  Sadly I am a realist.  I worked out the realities of life while I was still in infant school, and nothing I have encountered since has changed my thoughts.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »

Believe me I DO try, but perhaps resilience might be a natal trait?
H has SO much sometimes I want to throttle him for being so blind, because I don't believe I am a pessimist.  Sadly I am a realist.  I worked out the realities of life while I was still in infant school, and nothing I have encountered since has changed my thoughts.
I think what's made me strong and positive in my outlook is a childhood which has so many gaps in it, perhaps deliberately filed away in the deepest, darkest part of my memory.
Strange really, I don't want to sound like a sad, hopeless case, but I had a horrible childhood but learned to be pretty self sufficient at an early age.
Dad was always away thank goodness and mum was too busy buying dresses, so by the age of 10, I was doing most things for myself, except cooking. I had my daily chores to do from a very early age, like sawing up pallets and chopping them up for kindling, lighting the coal fire at about 6 years of age, and making cups of tea endlessly.
I grew up not liking life much but it made me strong, positive that I would master everything I tried.
Then at about 18 I learned to cook. I suddenly realised how good food could taste 😂
A slight sidetrack here.... My gran was frying liver for my granddad one day and asked me why I thought it was frothing in the pan.
I asked "what are you cooking it in gran? “ she said, the cooking oil in the fridge, so, I took a look.
" do you mean this one, next to the lemonade gran? “ 😂
Granddad stile ate it, he never found out.
Anyway, my upbringing could have gone 2 ways, luckily, it made me very independent and able to tackle nearly anything. I was lucky I guess
Griff

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 January 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I too had a horrible childhood Griff.
I worked out that life was awful, ever since if anything nice has happened I have recognised the gift and been glad of the bonus!