Author Topic: Historic Methodism and Stance on Healthcare  (Read 652 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Historic Methodism and Stance on Healthcare
« on: Sunday 31 January 21 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have some family who were based in Camborne and earlier St Columb Major who were all Methodists. It seems that there was also quite a family tradition for not accepting medical assistance and I was interested to know whether this may have been a Methodist view held at that time or whether it was just the stance of that side of the family who also happened to be Methodists?

In 1879 my 3xGreat-Grandfather was taken to court for refusing to have his 7 month old son vaccinated and wrote other letters to the newspaper through the 1880s about his views. He died in 1910 as he refused to have surgery to remove his appendix. I also found an obituary for his mother who died in 1899 as a result of refusing medical assistance.

I know that the family where strong Methodists, although I am curious to know whether there was a link between the two things at the time or whether it was just coincidence.

Many thanks in advance,

Henning Walker

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Methodism and Stance on Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Apparently it still happens in USA.
(Do an internet search on "Methodist refusing medical treatment")

What branch of Methodism were the family in?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I was finding a mixture of things online and wasn't sure how definitive some of the answers were. I'll have another look shortly.

I believe that they were all Wesleyan Methodists.

Many thanks,

Henning

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
My lot in Devon & Cornwall were Bible Christians - who took the Bible almost literally.
No stories from them, but I can imagine they may have had a hard stance on medical intervention?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)