Author Topic: Carter Family Castledermot  (Read 693 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carter Family Castledermot
« on: Monday 01 February 21 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roots Chatters

Does anyone have roots with a Carter family in Castledermot in the early 1800s?

My 2 x great grandfather was a Robert Carter who apparently married my 2 x great grandmother Julia Keogh in 1841 in Castledermot.

I have just found a marriage record for them from 'Find My Past', which is a great find but I always thought they married in Dublin (where they lived eventually and had several children) - this may explain why I've never been able to find a marriage record for them in Dublin.

So, armed with said marriage record, I've now also just found a birth record for Robert and Julia's (I think eldest) daughter named Anne Carter who was born in the parish of Athy in 1848 (she was also referred to Rosanna in all subsequent records throughout her life).

Again, this is really great because I've never been able to find a birth record for Rosanna in Dublin, despite finding all the records for her siblings who were born in Dublin.

So there appears to have been some movement between Kildare and Dublin, where the family eventually settled.

Do any of these names ring a bell with anyone within their own families - Keoghs or Carters?

Many thanks

Offline zoecarter1989

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carter Family Castledermot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 22 03:18 BST (UK) »
maybe
iam a carter my gradad was called regonald carter  and my nan alma dorathy carter- james before got married,,
my dad was also a james..
the carter side is big and so is the james,, some in uk ,, some in america and other countries

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Carter Family Castledermot
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 22 07:44 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

maybe
iam a carter my gradad was called regonald carter  and my nan alma dorathy carter- james before got married,,
my dad was also a james..
the carter side is big and so is the james,, some in uk ,, some in america and other countries

Perhaps if you can give us an idea of dates and what sources you've already checked, we might be able to help.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo