Author Topic: Help Needed to find a Baptism in Roxburgh.  (Read 1188 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help Needed to find a Baptism in Roxburgh.
« on: Wednesday 03 February 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have recently stumbled across a possible/probable unknown sister of my 3x Gt Grandfather.

Elizabeth Hill married David Waddell in Coldstream, Berwickshire on 11th November 1838. They appear not to have had any children.

In 1841 they are in Coldstream (as Waddle) with her mother, also Elizabeth Hill here: https://www.scottishindexes.com/41transcript.aspx?houseid=73303115

They are still in Coldstream in both 1851 & 1861 (As Elisabeth Waddell):

1851 - https://www.scottishindexes.com/51transcript.aspx?houseid=73302296

1861 -  https://www.scottishindexes.com/61transcript.aspx?houseid=73302247

On both 1851 & 61 Elizabeth gives her place of birth as Roxburgh.

David Waddell died 17th August 1858 (Scottish MI's on FindMyPast) in Coldstream.

Elizabeth is working at Carham Hall, Carham in both 1871 & 1881 & back living in Coldstream in 1891 (FindMyPast Scottish Census Transcriptions.) Birthplace also Roxburgh.

Elizabeth died 25th December 1891 aged 80 years of age in Coldstream.

Both David & Elizabeth Waddell/Waddle are buried in Coldstream.

Could someone assist with finding a baptism in 1811 in Roxburgh please, so as to confirm Elizabeth Hill's parentage?

This family are a Borders family and finding info about them has been notoriously difficult, as they are known to have been in East Lothian, Roxburghshire, Berwickshire and Northumberland England as well!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to find a Baptism in Roxburgh.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 20:19 GMT (UK) »
If Elizabeth dies in Scotland, the best to way to confirm her parentage should be her death certificate, which should tell you the names of her parents including her mother's maiden surname.

Get it from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Many thanks for that, will do so when finances allow!

Was just hoping that a baptism may assist in that in some way! :)

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
The problem with relying on a baptism is that so many are missing from the records. Just because there is only one candidate in the surviving records doesn't mean it's the right person.

I remember getting this wrong with my 3-greats-grandmother. From the census I knew she was born in 1819/1820 in the parish of Oyne, and there was a baptism that fitted exactly. It was many months before I got her death certificate and found that the person whose tree I had been climbing was not my ggggma after all!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I see from the 1841 census on FreeCEN, that Elizabeth and her mother were both born in England.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian & GR2,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Forfarian, Thanks for that, I'll bear in mind what you say re the baptism & look to get the death cert first when I can afford it!

GR2, Hmmm, yes it does say born in England in 1841 doesn't it!  But on following censuses Elizabeth states place of birth as Roxburgh. Confusing to say the least!

My thanks to you both again.

Kind regards

David

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Waddell, widow of David Waddell, contractor, illegitimate

25th December 1891, New Road, Coldstream

Elizabeth Hills (deceased)

Cardiac disease, pneumonia (duration uncertain)

Informant - Peter Meikle, next door neighbour

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

What record/source was that from if you don't mind my asking?

Hmmm, Illegitimate! The parents that I am hoping that she is the daughter of were married in 1803. Elizabeth born 1810/11 would therefore not be illegitimate. Even more confusing if anything! :)

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:47 GMT (UK) »
That's from the death certificate on ScotlandsPeople.