Author Topic: Catherine O'Neill - Migration & marriage in Canada  (Read 2971 times)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine O'Neill - Migration & marriage in Canada
« on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking for assistance with a marriage in Canada and arrival information in Canada.

Catherine O’Neill born 2nd March 1891 Co Antrim, Ireland went to Canada sometime between 1908 and 1932. She married John Burnett born c 1890, Glasgow, Scotland.  I don’t have a date for their marriage but they had a son Hugh William Cameron Burnett in Montreal 27.6.1932, so the marriage was likely before that and in Canada. (There may also have been children John & James. No dates known for them). Catherine died in Montreal on 24.12.1969 and as far as I know spent most of her life in Canada there.

Can anyone find Catherine’s arrival in Canada on passenger lists, and also her marriage in Canada (presumably in or near Montreal)?
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine O'Neill - Migration & marriage in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
John Burnett & wife Catherine returning to Montreal (arrived 13 May 1920 from Glasgow on ‘Sicilian’) with infant daughter Catherine aged 7 months. He previously in Canada 1912-1915. Have you checked for marriage in Scotland or Ireland?
They should appear in 1921 Canadian census.

Added- daughter Catherine born Glasgow (her birth should list date & place of parents' marriage).
More- Arrival form gives Catherine's brother as Wm. John Howie, 138 St. James Road, Glasgow.

Wondering if I've found correct family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Very grateful for your help. Very helpful.

Yes I had searched for a marriage in both Ireland and Scotland.  Suspect they married in Canada but could be wrong. My Ancestry sub doesn’t cover migration or Canadian census records, so haven’t been able to search those.

I have found a fairly sparse tree on Ancestry with the couple on it and may get more information that way.

I’ll go down the Scottish birth cert route. Catherine's parents details should clarify whether it's the right family.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Burnett & daughter Catherine V. made a trip to Scotland in 1928 and contact is (mother) Mrs. Alexaner Howie.

Wonder if your Catherine could be a second wife?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 23:34 GMT (UK) »
John Burnett & wife Catherine returning to Montreal (arrived 13 May 1920 from Glasgow on ‘Sicilian’) with infant daughter Catherine aged 7 months. He previously in Canada 1912-1915. Have you checked for marriage in Scotland or Ireland?
They should appear in 1921 Canadian census.

Added- daughter Catherine born Glasgow (her birth should list date & place of parents' marriage).
More- Arrival form gives Catherine's brother as Wm. John Howie, 138 St. James Road, Glasgow.

Wondering if I've found correct family.

That couple were John Burnett married to Catherine Howie (m 1918 Glasgow), with daughter Catherine Victoria Howie Burnett, so I think it’s not the Catherine & John I am looking for, unless he later married Catherine O’Neill post 1920, which is possible.
Elwyn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:34 GMT (UK) »
There was an 1891 born Kate O'Neill, single, headed to Montreal  from Belfast in 1911.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
There was an 1891 born Kate O'Neill, single, headed to Montreal  from Belfast in 1911.

Excellent. That sounds promising.  Thank you for that.
Elwyn

Offline Bx2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 21 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn, re above noted reply for Catherine's sailing in 1911. She was on the 'Lake Manitoba' which sailed from Belfast on 29th October 1911. Destination was Quebec and Montreal. The 'Master's name' was G C Evans. 'Kate' (identified thus) was listed age 20 and her occupation noted as 'Domestic'.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 21 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn, re above noted reply for Catherine's sailing in 1911. She was on the 'Lake Manitoba' which sailed from Belfast on 29th October 1911. Destination was Quebec and Montreal. The 'Master's name' was G C Evans. 'Kate' (identified thus) was listed age 20 and her occupation noted as 'Domestic'.

Thanks.
Elwyn