Author Topic: William Renwick  (Read 1669 times)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Renwick
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 February 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
With the help of a professional genealogist, my Renwick genealogy was traced back to George Renwick 1790, Hobkirk and his wife Agnes Kenzie 1805, Bowknowe and their 6 children. On the death  certificate of George, his father was James Renwick 1764 Castleton and his mother Jean Anderson 1755 Hobkirk. From here on I did my own research and made mistakes.  I thought to that William Renwick 1744 Kirkton and Janet Glendinning 1742 Coldstream to be the next generation but I’m wrong.  So I’m hoping for help looking for the parents of James Renwick 1764.  Thank you for any suggestions.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 February 21 10:45 GMT (UK) »

George 1790, father James Renwick 1764 Castleton, mother Jean Anderson 1755 Hobkirk.

Children born Hobkirk, father JAMES RENWICK

WILLIAM 5/04/1789, GEORGE 19/09/1790, JANET 16/09/1792,
WILLIAM 1/06/1794, JANET 28/08/1796, BENJAMIN 26/10/1800, MARY 24/02/1828.

One burial on SP Hobkirk 1789 to 1855. - JENNET RENWICK 20/07/1821

It seems unlikely that this is the correct JEAN ANDERSON 25/05/1755 Hobkirk, father GEORGE ANDERSON, if the above family is the right one she would be 73 when Mary was born.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 February 21 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Even assuming Mary is not their child, which does seem unlikely,  I cannot find a Marriage for James & Jean Anderson in the County?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:36 GMT (UK) »
There is no doubt that the only record on SP for a James between 1740 & 1773 in Roxburghshire is the one below, parents William Renwick & Janet Glendinning/Glendunning,

James RENWICK Baptism 28 Oct 1764   Roxburghshire, Castleton: Parish Church, Abode Mangertown

It is possible that they had a daughter earlier?

Catharine RENWICK Baptism 18 Oct 1754 Roxburghshire, Castleton : Parish Church, Abode Hardon

That does appear to be a contender; however I am a little concerned about the age difference between James & Jean, not impossible I know.

It is possible that the record for James has not survived, or was never recorded. In addition there are two parishes around Hawick where there are gaps in the records, Kirkton/Kirktown no records between 1751- 1820 – Teviothead only from 1824.

For example A William Renwick, father William was born Kirkton 1744

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Colin

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 February 21 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I went back and reread all the info the genealogist send me 6 years ago, and I understand why I’ve been confused.  A couple of things I missed are the father of George 1790 was James Renwick of Middleburn, and I agree that the dates don’t work for the Jane Anderson to be the mother.  You named the correct children of James and an unknown wife, Jean Anderson.

The expert suggested that the parents of George might be might be William Renwick and Margaret Cessford, married at Hobkirk on 20 May 1733 but I haven’t looked at this yet.

Who is the Mary you mentioned?  I’ve never found her.
Bev

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 February 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
The only reference I can see to a place called Middleburn is in Perth & Kinross, the nearest to that name on SP is Middlebie in Dumfriesshire.

WILLIAM RENNICK   Married    MARGARET CESSFOORD   20/05/1733   Hobkirk
No children on SP

There was also this marriage.
WILLIAM RENNICK   Married    JANNET BOYD   03/09/1732   Wilton
They had 5 children in Hawick, no James

The record for Mary was on SP births in Hobkirk, father James.

Colin

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 February 21 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Doesn’t look good, but I’ll recheck the birth and death certificates of the 6 children: William, George, Janet, second William, second Janet and Benjamin.
Bev