Author Topic: No Death certificate of Hannah Fitzgerald O'Connor Olean NY  (Read 1232 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: No Death certificate of Hannah Fitzgerald O'Connor Olean NY
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 February 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
This might be him. Winchester is close to Woburn. But you should look and see if there was another Michael Carrig/Carrick in the area to be sure.

-------------
Declaration of Intention
October 3, 1876

Michael Carick of Winchester, a currier born in Co Clare, Ireland, on or about 24 August 1843, and is now about 33. that he arrived at Boston 1 March 1870

signed Michael Carrick
--------

link to ancestry, since you said you had a tree there.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qa7/

and his stated arrival date didn't help me find their arrival.

Offline hockeymom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Great find on Michael boarding with Patrick Howley! (is the Woburn directory available on line?) Patricks wife was born Ann O'Connor. (1813-1893).Since I have a couple DNA matches in the 4th cousin range,my Aunt even closer, I've suspected Ann O'Connor Howley was the sister of (Isaac?)O'Connor. They are in the same age range. Also Bridget Howley(Patrick and Ann's daughter)is listed as Godmother to 2 of Michael and Ann Carriggs children born in Woburn.
Ann O'Connor Howleys parents were Andrew O'Connor and Bridget Droney. Unfortunatly, I can't find any records of them except in other peoples trees and no listing of other children, so can't confirm exact relationship.
It appears Michael Carrigg/Carrick came over first  and then sent for his wife. She was probably pregnant with their 2nd child. Thanks so much for that great find!

Offline hockeymom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:28 GMT (UK) »
As for the Michael Carrick born in August 1843, I don't think they are the same. I'm sure they are related,but that Michael was married to an Ann Crowley. It gets very confusing because they are both curriers and both moved to Olean NY. Had some children with the same name even. Eventually that Michael moved to Erie Pa.
Thanks for all the help

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
The Woburn directory is at ancestry.com.
Did the Howleys name a son Andrew?
Could “Isaac” O’Connor be really named Andrew? The Carrigs named the 2nd son that name.Then the question would be why they named the first son John.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Did the Howleys name a son Andrew?

And did the other Michael Carrig family have a son Andrew? What I'm getting at is: Did the name Andrew come from Anna (O'Connor) Carrig's side of the family or from Michaels?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 February 21 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I didn't find a death of an Andrew O'Connor in Co Clare from 1864, when the records begin, until 1871.
I looked through the baptism register for Lisdoonvarna from 1854 to 1860 for a child whose mother's name was Hannah Fitzgerald. I didn't  find any.
Maybe Anna was her youngest child. Maybe Hannah's husband, died before 1854.

There are no earlier baptism or marriage registers for Lisdoonvarna parish still around anywhere. Only the ones that are at nli.li. That according to John Grenham's Tracing Your Irish Ancestors.

for what it is worth:

On Griffith's valuation, there is a Michael Connell renting a house from an Andrew Connor on the lane off Old Church Hill Street, Ennistimon, parish of Kilmanaheen.
But no other record of Andrew Connor on his own property.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qa8/

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 21 03:46 GMT (UK) »
I would be surprised if there was no death certificate issued for Hannah, because there was close to 100% compliance by 1892. But it was certainly possible that NY state never received a copy.

The situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that there is a Town of Allegany (note correct spelling), and within the town there is a Village of Allegany; both probably issued their own vital records.

Since you have a church record that indicates the death occurred in “Allegany”, I would suggest you contact the Town Clerk to see if they have the death record, and if they don’t have it, try the Village Clerk. They may charge $10 to do a search, or they may only charge you for the certificate after they confirm they have it.

Steve

Offline hockeymom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Steve,
  I went back to check the Church records to clarify if the place of death was truly Allegany. What it said was the cemetery is in Allegany. This is true. She is buried at St. Bonaventure. So, I am not certain where she died. It states she died Dec.31 1891 and buriel was Jan. 2 1892 and that she received all her sacraments. In 1880 the family lived in Portville,but at some point moved to Olean. Sure would be nice to have the 1890 census. I have spoken to Portville clerk and Olean clerk and they say they have no record of her.
Thanks

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
I just noticed your reply. Just as there are two Alleganys (Town and Village), there are two Oleans (Town and City). The 1892 census record for the Carigg family shows them living in the Town of Olean. If Hannah died in their home there, then the Olean City Clerk would not have the record; you would have to contact the Olean Town Clerk:
http://townofolean.org/html/clerk.html

Steve